BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Business
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Market Data 
Economy 
Companies 
E-Commerce 
Your Money 
Business Basics 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 29 March, 2001, 03:06 GMT 04:06 UK
M&S 'to announce shake-up'
M&S is pinning its hopes on its spring collection
M&S is pinning its hopes on its spring collection
It is rumoured that Marks & Spencer is preparing to announce a radical shake-up of the High Street chain in a fresh attempt to halt falling sales.

An announcement could be made on Thursday about the restructuring plans, according to the Financial Times.

The reported changes are said to focus on store closures in mainland Europe, an overhaul of its property portfolio, and an internal restructuring of business units.

M & S chairman Luc Vandevelde
Luc Vandevelde: Pledged to turn sales slump around
The moves are expected to lead to heavy job losses throughout the group, said the FT.

M&S will be hoping that any changes will signal a turnaround in its fortunes, especially its flagging clothing sales.

The retailer recently announced more disastrous sales figures - with its core clothes sales falling about 10% over the Christmas period.

The reported changes follow a review of the business by M&S's new managing director, Roger Holmes, who has previously run Woolworth.

Criticism

The company has refused to comment on the speculation.

Mr Holmes is said to have been working closely with the chairman of M&S, Luc Vandevelde, who has given himself until the end of this year to begin the turnaround in the store's fortune.

Mr Vandevelde has reportedly been criticised in the City for failing to take decisive action, said the FT.

He has concentrated more on restructuring top management and clearing out the M&S "old guard", it said.

Advertising campaign

The company has introduced a number of measures over the last year to try to increase sales.

George Davies, who successfully built up clothing chain Next and the George range of clothing at Asda, was hired earlier this year to launch a new womenswear collection.

Last Autumn the company launched its first TV advertising campaign, which it hoped would alert people to the fact that M&S wanted to change, but has so far failed to attract people back.

A year ago it launched its Autograph designer collection, which has been heavily criticised for being pricey yet lacking the exclusivity of a designer brand.

But its spring collection has recently received good reviews.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

02 Feb 01 | Business
Designer George hired by M&S
23 Jan 01 | Business
Fresh sales slump at M&S
23 Jan 01 | Business
Streaker ad fails to halt slide
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Business stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Business stories