BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 28 March, 2001, 21:59 GMT 22:59 UK
Hague to investigate Macedonia war crimes

The United Nations war crimes tribunal says it will open an investigation into possible atrocities committed during this month's conflict in Macedonia.

The tribunal's chief prosecutor, Carla del Ponte, said she would be sending a team to the country to collect more details about war crimes allegations, and that a formal inquiry would be opened they were substantiated.

She was speaking after a meeting with the Macedonian Interior Minister, Dosta Dimovska.

The authorities in Skopje have blamed ethnic-Albanian insurgents of serious human rights abuses, including rape, but so far they have not presented any evidence in public. The tribunal has already said it would investigate similar allegations against the ethnic-Albanian rebels in southern Serbia, and the now-disbanded Kosovo Liberation Army.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories