BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Agriculture minister Brid Rodgers:
"It's absolutely essential that we move urgently on this cull"
 real 28k

Wednesday, 28 March, 2001, 22:42 GMT 23:42 UK
Farmers' objections delay NI cull
Farmers protested against burial plans for Armagh beauty spot
Farmers protested against burial plans for carcasses
A precautionary cull of sheep in the south Armagh foot-and-mouth disease restriction zone has been further delayed by farmers' objections.

Northern Ireland agriculture minister Brid Rodgers announced the extension of the precautionary slaughter of sheep to all farms inside a three-mile radius of the site of the province's only outbreak on Monday.

The decision was part of measures to ensure that Northern Ireland achieves a regional disease-free status which the European Commission has agreed will allow the province's exports of animal products to resume.

It is to affect about 2,500 sheep on farms in the three-kilometre radius of the Meigh farm where the province's single outbreak was found confirmed on 1 March.

Compensation call

However, on Wednesday night there was still no agreement on when the cull would commence as farmers demanded fair compensation.

Farmers in Meigh zone still in slaughter talks
Farmers in Meigh zone still in slaughter talks
They held protests against the extended cull on Tuesday because of Department of Agriculture plans to bury the carcasses of the sheep at a local tourist attraction, Slieve Gullion Forest Park.

On Wednesday evening Department of Agriculture officials said they had achieved agreement on how the cull would take place and how the carcasses would be disposed of.

But 150 farmers, who held a private meeting on Wednesday night in south Armagh, said all the issues were not resolved.

Local Sinn Fein assembly member Conor Murphy said farmers felt they were being asked to sacrifice healthy livestock for economic reasons.

He said they wanted compensation comparable to that given to farmers in the Irish Republic affected by foot-and-mouth.

'Exports threatened'

Ulster Unionist MEP Jim Nicholson said the dispute could threaten the plans to restart exports.

Brid Rodgers:
Brid Rodgers: Appealing to farmers over cull
"From my point of view they have to be slaughtered before regionalisation takes place next Tuesday," he said.

Mrs Rodgers has again appealed to farmers in the zone to find agreement on how the cull could proceed.

She said on Wednesday: "It must start today, tonight, or tomorrow at the latest".

Concern in Irish Republic

Meanwhile, there are concerns in the Irish Republic about a farm at Tiedmont in the 10 kilometre restriction zone in County Louth, around the site of the only Irish outbreak.

Concern about possible second Louth outbreak
Concern about possible second Louth outbreak
The Irish Republic's only case was confirmed at a farm just across the border from south Armagh, at Proleek in Ravensdale, last week.

Irish agriculture department officials have said they are "very concerned" about sheep on the farm.

They expect the results of tests on Friday.

There are also concerns about a meat plant in Wexford which was closed after three lambs were discovered to have mouth lesions.

The department is still waiting for the results of tests on a sheep carcass at a meat plant near Gorey in County Wexford.

And a farm in Annestown in County Waterford has been placed under restriction.

Two suspect lambs with lesions in their mouths have been put down.

Mr Walsh has also announced a ban on feeding pigs swill.

So far, 18,000 sheep, 600 cattle and 29 goats have been culled in County Louth. In the rest of the Irish Republic 4,505 sheep and 360 cattle have been culled.

Downing Street meeting

Ulster Farmers Union president Douglas Rowe will be among farmers' leaders meeting the prime minister in Downing Street on Thursday morning to discuss the foot-and-mouth crisis.

There have now been more than 700 outbreaks in Britain.

Mr Rowe said he would discuss the importance of Northern Ireland regionalisation with Tony Blair.

"We now have a clear opportunity to recommence food exports next week and everyone in the province is working towards that goal," he said.

Meanwhile, the National Trust has announced the re-opening of six of its most popular properties under relaxed guidelines issues by Mrs Rodgers on Wednesday.

Mrs Rodgers said people could now visit the countryside, provided they behaved sensibly and avoided going near livestock or farms.

The attractions to be re-opened include Northern Ireland's most popular tourist destination, the Giant's Causeway on the Antrim Coast, Portstewart Strand, Cushendun Beach, Orlock Point, Rowallane Gardens and Mount Stewart.

Some government controlled angling waters are also to be re-opened.

The Department of Agriculture can be contacted on its helpline numbers on 02890 524279 or 02890 524590 between 0830 - 2100 GMT.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
NI movement restrictions relaxed
28 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Foot-and-mouth: New NI guidelines
27 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Regional export status for NI
26 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Rodgers announces NI sheep cull
22 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Foot-and-mouth hits Irish Republic
01 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Livestock disease confirmed in NI
02 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Foot-and-mouth disease timeline
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories