| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 28 March, 2001, 16:37 GMT 17:37 UK
Best to go back to hospital
![]() On the wagon: George Best and Alex in happier times
Northern Ireland football legend George Best is to return to a London hospital for a health check following concerns that he is drinking again.
However, his agent Phil Hughes said Best would soon travel to the Cromwell Hospital from his home in Portavogie, for a routine visit which he makes every month. Mr Hughes said: "I spoke to George in detail yesterday and he's in great form. He is planning to go back to London to see his consultant, although a date has not been arranged." He said Best knew the danger to him of drinking, but denied he was seriously ill. "If he was that bad he would be in hospital now and not sitting at his home. "Professor Williams said he wanted to see George for some more tests and he agreed." But he said there had been a lot of "scare-mongering" about the former star's health. Further dates cancelled However, Best has cancelled a number of engagements in recent days, including pulling out of an interview with Michael Parkinson which was to have taken place Saturday. He was to have provided commentary for the BBC at Saturday's Northern Ireland World Cup qualifying fixture against the Czech Republic in Belfast, but pulled out. On Monday, Professor Roger Williams, who has been treating Best, said he hoped to persuade Best back to London for further treatment, following reports of a drinking spree in Northern Ireland. Professor Williams began treating the 54-year-old former Manchester United star last year. He warned him at the time that even one glass of wine could finish him off.
"We do know in the last week or so that he has had some lapses," he told GMTV on Monday. "I spoke to him in the middle of last week and he was very clear - so it is not every day as some of the newspapers have been saying. "It is worrying and I am hoping that we will get him back to London and grapple with him again." He added that Best was well aware of the consequences of his actions. "He is very worried about it and every time that I have spoken to him he has been worried about it," he said.
'Worried sick' At the weekend, Phil Hughes said he was "worried sick" about Best, who has pulled out of two public appearances through ill health in the past 10 days. Mr Hughes said: "I find it very disturbing that people are serving him drink. "If they feel that they're able to add to George's problems by serving him alcohol, it's something that may be on their conscience." He was treated for pneumonia in Belfast last month and had been making a slow recovery. Best, whose glittering career was cut short by heavy drinking, left London after treatment for a serious liver complaint and a warning to stay off alcohol for good.
|
See also:
Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|