| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 28 March, 2001, 01:11 GMT 02:11 UK
Day of violence in Mid-East
![]() Jerusalem suffered two bomb attacks in six hours
Israel and the Palestinian territories were plunged into a day of heightened violence on Tuesday.
Two bombs exploded in Jerusalem, killing the bomber and the injuring 30 others. Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said that the attacks were carried out by forces under the command of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
One report said the boy had been watching Israeli soldiers and Palestinian gunman exchange fire when he was hit in the chest. Thousands of Palestinians clashed with Israeli soldiers near the Gaza Strip's main city, Khan Younis. Tuesday's events came at a time when tension was already running high following the killing of an Israeli baby at a Jewish settlement in Hebron. Washington has appealed for an end to the upsurge in violence and called on the Israelis and Palestinians to resume direct talks on finding a way to resume the stalled peace process. In the background to the increased violence, Arab leaders gathered in the Jordanian capital, Amman. The summit is expected to condemn the Israeli blockade of Palestinian areas and call for a revival of the Arab boycott to force Israel's new government to return to peace talks. Blaming Arafat Mr Sharon again accused the Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat of supporting the continuing wave of violence in Israel and the Palestinian territories.
In the Jordanian capital Amman, Palestinian officials blamed Israel for provoking the violence. "The confrontation is expanding because of the policies announced by Sharon while he is launching an all-out war against the Palestinian people," Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said. Bombs The two bombs exploded in Jerusalem within six hours of each other.
Earlier, a car bomb exploded near a shopping mall in the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Talpiot, injuring three people during the morning rush hour. The militant Palestinian group, Islamic Jihad, said it carried out the earlier blast.
More than 400 people have been killed since the uprising began, nearly 350 of them Palestinian, including dozens of children. More than 60 Israelis and 13 Israeli Arabs have died. Hebron The Israeli army on Tuesday imposed a complete blockade around Hebron in the West Bank following the killing of 10-month-old Shalhevet Hass in a Jewish settlement in the city on Monday.
Palestinian officials have said there is no proof that Palestinians were behind the shooting. Settler leaders called on the Israel army to re-occupy the Abu Sneinah area and criticised Mr Sharon for continuing a policy of restraint in responding to Palestinian violence.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|