BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 18:45 GMT 19:45 UK
Anglesey cull finally underway
Flock of sheep being herded
Farmers are preparing thousands of sheep for slaughter
The first 700 sheep have been slaughtered as the massive cull on Anglesey has finally got under way.

After a day of confusion over when the cull of 40,000 animals would begin, farming unions confirmed that the first few hundred had been killed at the Welsh Country Foods abattoir at Garwen - the site of the first outbreak.


It has been an absolute shambles. You have got to tell those farmers who are going make sacrifices exactly what the plans are.

Anglesey farmer and AM for north Wales Peter Rogers

It had been hoped that as many as 2,000 sheep and lambs would have been dealt with inside the 50 square mile cull zone on the first day.

Earlier in the day there were serious doubts about whether it would start at all, following an administrative error which meant that the abattoir had not been re-licensed for slaughtering to take place.

The cull - which is expected to take up to 10 days to complete - will continue on Wednesday.

The army will again be transporting carcasses to a disposal site - the disused Mona airfield, which is owned by the Ministry of Defence.

Foot-and-mouth warning sign
A total of 13 cases have been confirmed on Anglesey
The airfield was selected after the preferred landfill site elsewhere on the island was ruled out because of objections from Anglesey councillors.

Now there are objections about the new site - including complaints that it is too near the A55 road.

Farmer Owen Jones has attempted to get a court injunction to stop the disposal taking place there and a public meeting was taking place at Bodffordd on Anglesey on Tuesday night for like-minded people sharing his views.

Meanwhile, Anglesey farmer and north Wales assembly member Peter Rogers has criticised the way the cull had been managed.

'Absolute shambles'

He has called for the whole operation should be called to a halt.

"It has been an absolute shambles," said Mr Rogers, whose own sheep are awaiting slaughter.

"The problem is that people don't know what is happening.

"You have got to tell those farmers who are going make sacrifices exactly what the plans are."

Soldiers supervise burial of carcasses
Soldiers are assisting across the UK
Mr Rogers said many farmers like him were now calling for an end to the cull and the beginning of mass vaccination instead.

"The slaughter should be stopped immediately and we should be using a vaccine," he said.

There are currently 42 cases of foot-and-mouth in Wales, with 13 of them on Anglesey.13 of which are on Anglesey, 25 in Powys, and four in Monmouthshire.

Welsh Assembly Finance Minister Edwina Hart has announced that she is making £12m available to help businesses affected by the foot-and-mouth crisis.

The money will be used by local authorities to grant rate relief to as many as 20,000 businesses throughout Wales - mainly those with links to agriculture and tourism.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

26 Mar 01 | Wales
Island braced for mass cull
20 Mar 01 | Wales
Disease cancels youth festival
15 Mar 01 | Wales
Mass cull ordered around mart
09 Mar 01 | Wales
Foot-and-mouth factfile
14 Mar 01 | Europe
EU attacks disease blockades
14 Mar 01 | UK Politics
Rural Britain 'still open'
15 Mar 01 | Europe
World moves to contain disease
16 Mar 01 | Scotland
Farmer's grief at slaughter plans
15 Mar 01 | UK
In the shadow of the virus
27 Mar 01 | Wales
Farming 'hell' on Anglesey
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories