| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 14:24 GMT 15:24 UK
Confusion reigns over Anglesey cull
![]() Farmers are preparing thousands of sheep for slaughter
The mass slaughter of 40,000 sheep and lambs in an attempt to halt the spread of foot-and-mouth on Anglesey has begun.
Welsh Assembly First Minister Rhodri Morgan said the sheep would now be burned at the island's disused Mona airfield. The Environment Agency's favoured option of burying the animals at a landfull site was rejected by Anglesey councillors on Monday.
The cull - which could take up to 10 days - is the most drastic step to be taken in Wales since the crisis began. The Ministry of Agriculture said it hoped the cull would create a firebreak - similar to that in Cumbria - which would stop the virus in its tracks. Early on Tuesday, there were fears that the cull would be delayed as the abattoir where they will be slaughtered did not have the necessary licence. But the Intervention Board - the government agency helping make arrangements for slaughter - later reached an agreement with Welsh Country Foods abattoir in Gaerwen - which was the source of the island's original outbreak. On the first day of the cull it is expected that some 2,000 livestock will be killed on farms inside the 50 square mile cull zone. So far on Tuesday, there have been no further confirmed cases of foot-and-mouth in Wales and the total so far remains static at 42.
Of those, 13 of which are on Anglesey, 25 in Powys and a further four in Monmouthshire. An additional 14 sites are under suspicion. The cull has not been without its opposition with some farmers insisting that killing seemingly healthy animals is too drastic a measure. Welsh Conservative Agriculture Spokesman has attacked the "chaos of ministerial incompetence". "It is absolute anarchy up here, Carwyn Jones has created chaos, distress and anger," he said. "The level of incompetence demonstrated here today proves that the coalition is incapable of handling this national emergency. "The failure to communicate and work with farmers on the ground has resulted in this shambles. Carwyn Jones has been spinning the message that everything is under control - today's events show that to be a lie."
But Welsh Assembly First Minister Rhodri Morgan insisted that the level of opposition to the operation on Anglesey was "minuscule". Around a quarter of farmers on the island - which relies on agriculture and tourism to support its economy - will be affected. Some are marking up their best animals in the hope they can be saved under plans to spare some pedigrees. The first cull of 2,000 animals will take place at Welsh Country Foods abattoir at Gaerwen - where the first outbreak in Wales was confirmed more than a month ago. A smaller, localised cull is being contemplated in the Church Stoke area of Powys to deal with the outbreak there. Ministry vets have begun contacting farms in preparation for the killings.
National Farmers Union Cymru president Hugh Richards said: "This is a "dark day for Welsh farmers". Elsewhere it has emerged that a herd of deer at Powis Castle near Welshpool, mid Wales, are to be slaughtered after coming into "dangerous contact" with the virus. An outbreak had been detected in a group of farms within the castle estate where the deer graze.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|