BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



BBC Wales's Roger Pinney
"The cull was put on hold because of a problem over licensing."
 real 56k

Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 13:32 GMT 14:32 UK
Farming 'hell' on Anglesey
farmer with flock
Farmers face unprecedented pressures
Eifion Foulkes has endured weeks of waking up each morning on his Anglesey farm not knowing if his own flock will be the latest on the island to become infected with foot-and-mouth.

The news never came but after it was revealed a neighbour's sheep had tested positive, he knew his livestock was doomed.


"I bottled-fed my lambs this morning. The quicker they go the better. I care about my animals. Livestock doesn't thrive unless you do

Farmer Eifion Foulkes

Because of the contiguity, Mr Foulkes, 45, and his family are now preparing for the grim task of slaughtering their 2,700 ewes and lambs on site at the farm at Llangaffo.

He said the prospect of officials coming onto his land to kill the animals filled him and his family with "sadness and dread".

"I bottled-fed my lambs this morning. The quicker they go the better," he said.

"I care about my animals. Livestock doesn't thrive unless you do."

He said the outbreak had placed enormous stress on himself, his wife Jane and son Dafydd, 14.


It is hell to go out every morning wondering what is going to happen to your animals

Eifion Foukes
"We have endured five weeks of not knowing what is going to happen," said Mr Foulkes.

"It is hell to go out every morning wondering what is going to happen to your animals."

Having left school at 16 to follow his father into farming, he said the foot-and-mouth outbreak is the single worst experience of his life.

But the latest confusion on Tuesday about whether or not the cull will go ahead as planned has added to his worries.

"I just wish I knew what was going to happen. There has been talk of the cull not taking place.

'A mistake'

"Somebody phoned up saying that somebody was trying to stop it in the High Court."

Mr Foulkes said he wished Maff officials in the Caernarfon district office had been given more powers to deal with the outbreak locally.

"They have not been given the responsibility to take decisions and they're the ones with the local information.

"A lot more could have been done earlier, particularly on the first day with the case at Welsh Country Foods, the source of the first outbreak on the island.

"These lambs were in an abattoir and they could have been dealt with in 4-5 hours, not 4-5 days.

"A stitch in time might have saved the rest of Anglesey."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

26 Mar 01 | Wales
Island braced for mass cull
25 Mar 01 | Wales
Infected farm numbers rise
15 Mar 01 | Wales
Mass cull ordered around mart
09 Mar 01 | Wales
Foot-and-mouth factfile
14 Mar 01 | UK Politics
Rural Britain 'still open'
16 Mar 01 | Scotland
Farmer's grief at slaughter plans
15 Mar 01 | UK
In the shadow of the virus
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories