BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Orla Guerin
"Israelis are struggling with grief and fear"
 real 56k

Hanan Ashrawi, Palestinian Legislative Council
"We cannot control the behaviour of every single Palestinian"
 real 28k

Raanan Gissin, spokesman for Ariel Sharon
"We want to return to the negotiating table"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 20:18 GMT 21:18 UK
Jerusalem hit by bombs
Bus bombing in Jerusalem 27 03 2001
Jerusalem suffered two bomb attacks in six hours
Two bombs have exploded in Jerusalem, within six hours of each other.

Police said one person - believed to be the bomber - was killed in the second blast, which went off near a bus. At least 30 people were wounded.


Everybody in this country is under the direct attack of Mr Arafat and we have to do something about that

Public Security Minister Uzi Landau
The bomber is believed to have had explosives strapped to his body which were detonated next to a bus in the French Hill district of east Jerusalem.

The bombings come at a time when tension is running high in the Palestinian territories.

During clashes near the West Bank village of Dura, an 11-year-old Palestinian boy was shot dead by Israeli troops.

One report said the boy had been watching Israeli soldiers and Palestinian gunman exchange fire when he was hit in the chest.

On Monday, a 10-month-old Israeli baby was killed by gunfire in nearby Hebron.

Emergency meeting

Following Tuesday's bombings, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon called an emergency meeting of cabinet ministers and security officials. There are no reports of specific new Israeli action or security measures.


Foreign Minister Shimon Peres said: "They will get nothing from us through force."

Mr Peres went on to say that Israel would not react hastily to the attacks because they were an attempt to "make an impression on the summit" of Arab leaders in Jordan.

Israeli officials again blamed Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat directly for the latest bombings.

"Everybody in this country is under the direct attack of Mr Arafat and we have to do something about that," said Public Security Minister Uzi Landau.


The confrontation is expanding because of the policies announced by Sharon while he is launching an all-out war against the Palestinian people

Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo
In the Jordanian capital Amman, Palestinian officials blamed Israel for provoking the violence.

"The confrontation is expanding because of the policies announced by Sharon while he is launching an all-out war against the Palestinian people," Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said.

Reports say that in violence in the Gaza Strip, at least three Palestinians were injured in clashes with Israeli forces.

Live ammunition, rubber-coated bullets and tear gas were used by troops against about 2,000 demonstrators in Khan Yunis, the main city on the strip.

Car bomb

Earlier, a car bomb exploded near a shopping mall in the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Talpiot, injuring three people during the morning rush hour.

Bombs since February election
4 March: Four killed in Netanya
1 March: One killed and nine wounded in Tel Aviv
8 February: Two car bomb explosions in west Jerusalem. No one dies
The militant Palestinian group, Islamic Jihad, said it carried out the earlier blast.

A BBC correspondent in Jerusalem says Israelis will be concerned that the government's security crackdown has failed to stop the attacks happening.

Bus bombing in Jerusalem 27 03 2001
The bombers got through despite a tight security clampdown
The attacks present a challenge to Mr Sharon, who was recently elected promising Israelis security.

More than 400 people have been killed since the uprising began, nearly 350 of them Palestinian, including dozens of children. More than 60 Israelis and 13 Israeli Arabs have died.

Hebron

The Israeli army on Tuesday imposed a complete blockade around Hebron in the West Bank following the killing of 10-month-old Shalhevet Hass in a Jewish settlement in the city on Monday.

Family picture of settler Yitzhak Hass, his wife and their baby girl Shalhevet.
The Hass family
Israeli officials said the baby was killed by Palestinian gunfire. The Israeli army shelled the Abu Sneinah district of the Hebron, believed to be the source of the gunfire, on Monday night.

Palestinian officials have said there is no proof that Palestinians were behind the shooting.

Angry Jewish settlers in the city went on the rampage early on Tuesday, setting light to Palestinian businesses and vandalising cars and homes.

Settler leaders called on the Israel army to re-occupy the Abu Sneinah area and criticised Mr Sharon for continuing a policy of restraint in responding to Palestinian violence.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 Mar 01 | Middle East
Israel's history of bomb blasts
27 Mar 01 | Middle East
Annan attacks Israeli 'punishment'
23 Mar 01 | Middle East
CIA's Middle East role changes
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories