BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Stephen Dalziel
"The incident will do nothing to improve relations between Moscow and Washington"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 12:41 GMT 13:41 UK
Russia fury at US-Chechen talks
Ilyas Akhmadov at a press conference in Washington
Mr Akhmadov held a meeting with US State Department officials
Russia sharply criticised Washington on Tuesday for holding talks with a Chechen rebel envoy, despite a series of car bombings over the weekend that killed at least 23 people near Chechnya.


Washington's action can simply be described as immoral

Russian Foreign Ministry
The meeting between US State Department officials and Chechen envoy Ilyas Akhmadov was bitterly opposed by Moscow which has warned repeatedly that it will have negative consequences.

The US State Department made clear last week the United States intended to meet with both sides in the conflict.

During the meeting, the US side expressed the view that the Chechen conflict cannot be resolved by military means, the Russian news agency Interfax reported.

'Immoral'

A statement by a State Department spokesman that Mr Beyrle's talks with Mr Akhmadov took place outside the state department's offices did nothing to mollify Russian anger.

A fight in a street in Grozny
Moscow has claimed success in its operation in Chechnya
"Such a move on the part of a great civilised power would look unnatural after the latest bloody crimes by Chechen terrorists," the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement.

"Washington's action can simply be described as immoral," the statement said.

Foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Yakovenko said that Washington's action would be seen as "unfriendly" towards Russia.

The chairman of the State Duma foreign affairs committee Dmitry Rogozin said there were now "solid grounds to add the United States to those who officially support terrorism".

Blasts

Moscow had threatened to retaliate if the meeting went ahead.

Russia blamed the rebels for last weekend's blasts, but Chechen President Aslan Maskhadov denied responsibility.

Kremlin officials said that the explosives used in the blasts were of the kind used by sabotage groups operating for Chechen guerrillas.

Russia has begun scaling down its military presence in Chechnya.

Moscow has claimed success in its "anti-terrorist" operation despite evidence that large areas of the republic remain outside its control.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

24 Mar 01 | Europe
Russian blast toll mounts
13 Mar 01 | Media reports
Russia begins Chechnya pullout
28 Feb 01 | Europe
Chechnya colonel on trial
29 Nov 00 | Europe
Eyewitness: Chechnya's bitter war
16 Mar 00 | Europe
The Caucasus: Troubled borderland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories