BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 26 March, 2001, 12:39 GMT 13:39 UK
Tube strike talks fail
London's Victoria station
Last month's tube strike saw long queues at bus stops
Hopes of averting a 24-hour strike on the London Underground are fading.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT) is determined to go ahead with Thursday's action following talks with Underground officials.

The 90-minute meeting ended on Monday morning without the two parties reaching a solution.

The union fears safety will be compromised and jobs lost under government plans to turn the tube over to a public private partnership (PPP).

Further talks planned

An official for the union which represents signal workers, station staff and some drivers, said after the talks: "The strike most definitely remains on."

Further negotiations are due to be held at Acas, the conciliation service.

The tube drivers' union Aslef pulled out of the planned strike last week.

It said it was satisfied with guarantees given by LU on job security, pay and conditions.

Less disruption

This means the disruption is likely to be less severe than the stoppage on 5 February when only one train in 10 operated.

An LU spokeswoman said last week: "Strike action benefits nobody and only causes massive inconvenience to passengers and London's business community."

Weekend talks between the government and transport commissioner Bob Kiley also failed to reach an agreement over PPP.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

16 Dec 00 | UK Politics
New blow to Tube sell-off plan
13 Dec 00 | UK Politics
Prescott's Tube plan 'fatally flawed'
06 Dec 00 | UK Politics
GLA rejects Tube sell-off
18 Aug 00 | UK Politics
Tube sell-off safety threat
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories