| You are in: Entertainment: Music | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Monday, 26 March, 2001, 12:35 GMT 13:35 UK
Five star guilty after brawl
![]() Ritchie Neville appeared under his real name Dobson
Pop star Jason Brown of Five failed to appear for a court hearing over assault charges because he is visiting his sick mother in America.
Brown was due to appear with fellow bandmate Ritchie Neville at a Dublin court following a bar brawl in the city. Neville, who appeared under his real name of Richard Dobson, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly and breaching the peace during the incident in December. Brown, whose mother has undergone surgery in Orlando, faces a further charge of assault. Neville, 21, was ordered to pay IR£3,000 into the court's poor box as a charitable donation. This remedy means no conviction will be recorded against the pop star but it could be raised if he commits further offences. Hassle Arresting police officer Mark Cushen, told the court Neville had been involved in a scuffle at the Palace Bar in the city centre. He told the court, Neville said: "I can't go anywhere without getting into hassle, just because I'm in a boy band. "Why should I let them get away with it, I'm sick of it." Mr Cushen told the court he believed Neville was drunk. The band had arrived in Ireland that day to perform a string of concert dates. Peter Charleton, defending Neville, told the court his client had been up all night after travelling and words had been exchanged in the bar about the nature of his work. He described Neville's life as one of "extreme hard work and one of extreme strain". Courtesy Judge Michael Conlon took into account Neville's clean record and early guilty plea when sentencing. The judge asked why Brown had not notified his legal team about flying to America. He said: "The court is, funnily enough, not run for his benefit. "At least he could have the common courtesy to ring his solicitor when he went to America last Monday." Adjourning his case until 10 October, he said: "He will have to be here unless he has a very good reason." Speaking outside the court Neville said he was pleased with the sentence. He said: "We have always had a great time when we have come over here and we have always been treated with respect and kindness. "And thanks to our fans for sticking by us." |
See also:
Top Music stories now:
Links to more Music stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Music stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|