BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 25 March, 2001, 21:59 GMT 22:59 UK
Russia detains bomb suspects
Russian police checking ID's
Police are on heigh alert across Russia
Police and troops have carried out a huge operation in Russia's turbulent south, detaining suspects and mounting roadblocks as they hunt for car bombers who killed more than 20 people on Saturday.

Officials have accused separatist guerrillas in breakaway Chechnya of masterminding the attacks, and President Vladimir Putin called for "the toughest measures" against the bombers.


Armed policemen are patrolling the streets and traffic police are stopping and checking every vehicle

Interior Ministry official
Mr Putin's envoy to southern Russia, Viktor Kazantsev, said police had detained at least one strong suspect in the case and prosecutors in Chechnya said that they had arrested three more people in connection with the bombings.

"I am sure that this case will be resolved and that the criminals will be punished," Mr Kazantsev said.

Doctors have said that another man has died in hospital of injuries received in one of Saturday's three blasts, bringing the death toll to 22, as local authorities prepared to bury the first victims.

The blasts in the Stavropol region and the neighbouring province of Karachayevo-Cherkessia injured 141 others. Of those, 20 are reported to be in a serious condition.

Stopping vehicles

Car bomb wreckage
The blasts are being blamed on Chechen rebels
An Interior Ministry officer in the Stavropol region town of Mineralnye Vody, where a car bomb exploded next to a busy market, said police were on a heightened state of alert.

"An increased number of armed policemen are patrolling the streets and traffic police are stopping and checking every vehicle and taking down plate numbers and route details," he said.

Police officers have also been distributing photofits of presumed bombers compiled from eyewitness accounts.

The head of the town's administration said residents were still reeling from Saturday's bombing:

"I cannot think about anything else," Mikhail Chukavin said.

Rebel leader blamed

No-one has claimed responsibility for the blasts, but Prosecutor General Vladimir Ustinov told Interfax news agency that he believed Khattab, a prominent Jordanian-born rebel commander fighting in Chechnya, was behind the bombings.

Earlier this month, a Russian court said Khattab was responsible for the 1999 bombing of an apartment block in Dagestan, Chechnya's eastern neighbour, which killed 66 people.

The attack, followed by similar blasts across Russia, was used by then Prime Minister Putin as a reason to launch an offensive to return Chechnya to Moscow's fold.

The rebels have denied any role in the blasts.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Mar 01 | Europe
Putin pledges to catch bombers
24 Mar 01 | Europe
Russian blast toll mounts
13 Mar 01 | Media reports
Russia begins Chechnya pullout
29 Nov 00 | Europe
Eyewitness: Chechnya's bitter war
16 Mar 00 | Europe
The Caucasus: Troubled borderland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories