BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Robert Parsons
"Moscow is blaming Chechen rebels"
 real 56k

The BBC's Robert Parsons in Moscow
"This will strengthen anti-Chechen feeling"
 real 28k

Mikhail Shevelev, Moscow News Weekly
"It's the vested interests that keep the Russian military in Chechnya"
 real 28k

Sunday, 25 March, 2001, 00:07 GMT
Putin pledges to catch bombers
Wreckage from blast in Mineralnye Vody
No one has claimed responsibility for the three atttacks
Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent the head of his federal security service and the prosecutor-general to the Caucasus region to lead the investigation into bomb attacks that killed at least 21 people and wounded more than 120.


The toughest measures will be undertaken to find and punish those who ordered and carried out these despicable murders

President Putin
In a message to grieving families, Mr Putin said extremely rigorous measures would be taken to find and punish those responsible.

"Only tough methods and harsh means can be used with these people. They don't understand any other language," he said.

The Kremlin has blamed Chechen separatists for the blasts, but a Chechen rebel leader said they were not responsible.

Vladimir Putin
Mr Putin: Tough measures promised
Pledging to combat what he called terrorism, Mr Putin said:

"The international community understands how serious the events that are taking place are, and I am absolutely confident that we will put things in order eventually."

Death toll increases

The deadliest of the blasts happened in the town of Mineralnye Vody, where a car exploded in a crowded market.


Security officials there say the number of people killed has now risen to 19, with more than 100 injured, many of them seriously.

A simultaneous explosion wounded some 22 people near a police station in the town of Yessentuki, also in the Stavropol region.

Shortly after, two people died in a car bomb explosion in the region of Karachay-Cherkessia, according to Russian news agencies.

Reaction to Moscow

The Lada car exploded after police ordered it off the road and onto wasteland. They are reported to have found explosives in its petrol tank.


It's obvious that these were terrorist acts

Sergei Ivanov, national security adviser
No group has said it carried out the attacks, but President Putin's national security adviser, Sergei Ivanov, said they were probably a response by Chechen separatists to Moscow's efforts to restore order in the rebellious republic.

"The predictable and clear policies of the federal centre will make the leadership of the Chechen armed groups turn to the tactic of terrorist attacks, and not just in the territory of Chechnya. This is what is going on now," he said.

Suspect detained

Police are reported to have detained one suspect after the explosion in Mineralnye Vody.

Car bomb wreckage
The blasts appear co-ordinated
The Russian authorities say they have now stabilised Chechnya, having seized military control last year.

But attacks by Chechen separatists continue to take a heavy toll of troops stationed there.

A week ago suspected Chechen activists hijacked a Moscow-bound flight from Turkey to Saudi Arabia, demanding that Russia pull its troops out of Chechnya.

At the summit of European leaders on Friday Mr Putin defended Russia's operations against rebels in Chechnya and said the West would do well to follow Moscow's example against ethnic Albanian militants in Macedonia.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

24 Mar 01 | Europe
Russian blast toll mounts
13 Mar 01 | Media reports
Russia begins Chechnya pullout
28 Feb 01 | Europe
Chechnya colonel on trial
29 Nov 00 | Europe
Eyewitness: Chechnya's bitter war
16 Mar 00 | Europe
The Caucasus: Troubled borderland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories