BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Interviews 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London
"Talks have ground to a complete halt"
 real 28k

Monday, 26 March, 2001, 14:09 GMT 15:09 UK
Prescott tries to restart tube talks
Tube train
The future structure of the Tube is still unknown
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott is trying to restart talks over the future of the Tube.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has warned that unless Mr Prescott and London's transport commissioner Bob Kiley can come to an agreement, particularly over who will take charge of safety issues, he will seek judicial review over the government's position.


He has brought some new things to the table very late in the day that we cannot accommodate

DETR spokesman
After more than 100 meetings Mr Kiley, who is credited with turning around the New York and Boston undergrounds, is frustrated that his demands for unified management, control of maintenance and control of refurbishment have not been met.

Mr Livingstone told BBC News on Monday that talks between London transport commissioner Bob Kiley and Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott's Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (DETR) had "ground to a complete halt".

But on Sunday Mr Prescott promised that talks on the future of London Underground would continue despite the latest deadlock.

Negotiations stalled last week after government officials accused Mr Kiley of making fresh demands on the future of the tube.

Now Mr Prescott plans to write to Mr Kiley in the hope that they can restart their dialogue.

New demands

Transport for London, the organisation that will take over the running of transport services in the capital, said they were not prepared to give any leeway on the "crucial safety issue" of management control.

The government in turn blamed Mr Kiley for scuppering the talks by making further "last minute demands".

A Transport department spokesman said a 55-point plan presented by Mr Kiley had been "the basis for a deal" when the impasse came.

On Sunday Mr Prescott told BBC's Breakfast with Frost programme: "My main concern is to see that the London Underground has the investment it never has had for 20 years plus."

'Here to stay'

Mr Kiley told BBC News that he still wanted to keep talking.

"We can keep talking but there has got to be substance to the discussions and until we get to that point it's probably not worth continuing the talks."

He warned that government plans risked spreading the "infection" afflicting the UK's main rail network to the Tube.

Only a week ago ministers were "quietly optimistic" a deal could be reached on the future of its controversial public-private partnership (PPP) plan for the tube.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 Mar 01 | UK
Tube talks 'make progress'
05 Feb 01 | UK
London comes off the rails
02 Feb 01 | UK Politics
Tube deal reached
16 Dec 00 | UK Politics
New blow to Tube sell-off plan
13 Dec 00 | UK Politics
Prescott's Tube plan 'fatally flawed'
06 Dec 00 | UK Politics
GLA rejects Tube sell-off
18 Aug 00 | UK Politics
Tube sell-off safety threat
Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories