BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Jon Selby, victim's brother
"No ransom will be paid"
 real 56k

The BBC's Robin Crystal
"The army was threatening to intervene if today's deadline wasn't met"
 real 56k

Saturday, 3 March, 2001, 11:47 GMT
New hope for Bangladesh hostages
Rangamti police
Security is tight in the area: Police check a tourist's papers
By South Asia correspondent Mike Wooldridge

The kidnapping of a British engineer, Tim Selby, and two Danes in Bangladesh has gone into its third week with the apparent restoration of indirect contacts with the kidnappers.

A government minister has said he is hopeful that the incident may be brought to a peaceful end.

Kidnapped Briton Tim Selby
Briton Tim Selby: Was surveying road project
An ultimatum to the kidnappers to free the hostages or face possible military action to rescue them has been extended.

The government of Bangladesh had previously warned that the army would be sent on Saturday in if the three were not released.

After two weeks of mostly frustrated attempts to make contact with kidnappers, there is an evident wariness about placing too much store by this new development.

Freedom hopes

But Kalparanjan Chakma, the Bangladesh government minister who has been playing a leading role in the efforts to get negotiations going, has said he is now hopeful that the hostages may be freed as early as Monday.

He says the intermediary he has been in contact with reported that the men were bearing up reasonably well to their ordeal in the remote jungle where they are being held.

The kidnappers had originally demanded a ransom of more than £1m. That is apparently not being mentioned now.

The issues at stake appear to be to do with safe passage after releasing the hostages and the freeing of relatives of the kidnappers who were rounded up by the army.

They are now said to have been released.

But what is not clear at this stage is whether the hostages are still all together or are being held separately and how many people are holding them.

Tribal insurgency

The identity of the kidnappers remains a mystery too, though it has been assumed all along that the kidnapping was carried out by a faction dissatisfied with the peace accord that ended a lengthy tribal insurgency four years ago.

Tim Selby, 28, of Oldham, Greater Manchester, was kidnapped on 16 February with two Danish colleagues, Torben Mikkelsen, 48, and Nils Hulgaard, 64.

The three were working on a road project in south-east Bangladesh.

They work for Kampsax, a Copenhagen-based construction consultancy firm, along with another British engineer, David Weston, 56, and his Bangladeshi driver, Abdul Motaleb, who were freed and told to return with the ransom money.

Army commandos have cordoned off an area of dense forest where the abductors and their hostages are believed to be staying.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladeshi leader warns kidnappers
23 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladesh army strikes at kidnappers
24 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladesh's rebel heartland
23 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladesh kidnappers toughen stance
22 Feb 01 | South Asia
Kidnappers 'agree new meeting'
19 Feb 01 | South Asia
Hostages 'in good health'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories