| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, 4 March, 2001, 18:09 GMT
NI disease controls remain in place
![]() Farmers hope disease controls will prevent spread in NI
Northern Ireland farmers are still waiting anxiously to see whether further cases of foot-and-mouth livestock disease emerge.
The province's agriculture minister Brid Rodgers has praised farmers and members of the public for adhering to the restrictions and advice issued by her department to try to stop its spread. She is due to give a statement to the Northern Ireland Assembly on Monday. The outbreak found in Northern Ireland at a farm in Meigh, south Armagh, remains isolated in the province as vets continue to act on every call from farmers concerned about animals showing suspicious symptoms.
The restrictions aimed at preventing foot-and-mouth spreading are causing widespread disruption to many areas of life in Northern Ireland. A large number of sporting, social and political events have been cancelled and tourist attractions and markets closed as part of attempts to stop the disease spreading by limiting movement in the countryside. On Sunday masses in the three-kilometre restricted zone around the farm at Meigh were cancelled as part of attempts to limit movement in the area. Orangemen suspend protest Meanwhile, Orangemen in Portadown, County Armagh, said they had decided to suspend their continuing protest over the banning of the Drumcree parade.
He said the protest, which has lasted for almost 1,000 days "will resume in full when conditions allow". Mr Burrows added that local lodges in the area had also been advised to suspend meetings. Northern Ireland Chief Veterinary Officer Dr Bob McCracken has said that with every day the province does not show another case, he is becoming more hopeful that the disease is under control in Northern Ireland. The cross-party special inter-departmental committee set up at Stormont to co-ordinate the fight against foot-and-mouth met on Saturday morning for the first time.
After that meeting Mrs Rodgers also said she was feeling "more optimistic" about the situation in the province. But she was critical of the Belfast Giants ice hockey team for going ahead with their games in Belfast on Friday and Saturday nights, while most other sporting fixtures were cancelled. On Sunday a cattle herd at a farming neighbouring the Meigh farm were slaughtered and burnt as a precaution. Other livestock at risk within a one kilometre radius of the Meigh farm are also expected to be slaughtered. On Saturday 328 sheep and 37 cattle were slaughtered and burnt on a farm at Banbridge in County Down. The RUC said this was not because of fears of an outbreak. It is believed it was a precaution because the haulier involved in bringing the infected sheep to Meigh had visited the farm. In total 1,400 animals have been slaughtered in the province in precautionary measures. Illegal movement fears Ministers have heard allegations from SDLP assembly member John Fee that livestock was being moved illegally out of the exclusion zone near the Northern Ireland border.
The RUC said it was patrolling the area and is ready to support agriculture department vets if required. Mrs Rodgers has also said she fears more infected sheep may have been imported into the province from Scotland. She said she was concerned that livestock sold through Swatragh market in County Londonderry in February may also be at risk. Irish government criticism Meanwhile, Irish Defence Minister Michael Smyth said on Saturday he feared security north of the border, to prevent the spread of the disease, did not match that in the south. Farms in the Irish Republic, which so far appear clear of foot-and-mouth, are also under tight surveillance. Gardai carrying out checks at the Northern Ireland border have been joined by more than 1,000 Irish soldiers from Dublin and existing border posts. The Department of Agriculture can be contacted on its helpline numbers on 02890 524279 or 02890 524590 between 0830 - 2100 GMT. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|