BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Saturday, 3 March, 2001, 11:51 GMT
Charges follow ecstasy seizure

A 35-year-old Englishman has been remanded in custody after appearing in court in connection with a major drugs find in north Belfast.

Simon Wood of Arran Close in Morecambe, Lancashire, appeared before Belfast Magistrates Court on Saturday morning after cannabis and ecstasy said to be worth an estimated £1m were found by police.

The drugs were seized from a van at Lowood Park on Thursday.

The defendant faced four charges - two of having the drugs and two of having the drugs with intent to supply.

A detective constable told the court that when charged he replied "No" to each count.

'Hidden in machinery'

The detective said the drugs were fund in the van hidden inside sandblasting machinery belonging to the defendant.

He said the drugs - understood to be 69kg of cannabis and 25,0000 ecstasy tablets - were worth around £1m.

The find was one of the largest in Northern Ireland, according to the magistrate.

Simon Wood was remanded in custody until next Friday.

The court was told that a second man in the van who was arrested was found to have been on the run from prison and had been returned to jail.

A third man in the vehicle was released.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories