| You are in: World: Africa | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Saturday, 3 March, 2001, 17:25 GMT
Mozambique rescue efforts stepped up
![]() South African planes have been flying in aid
A South African military team has joined relief efforts in Mozambique, where the lives of thousands of people are at risk from rising flood waters.
Rescuers there had been using just three helicopters - one from Mozambique, and another two funded by the UK.
Officials want to evacuate at least 100,000 people from the Zambezi valley, fearing worsening floods as water released from the Cahora Bassa dam rushes downstream.
On Friday, some people reached by a World Food Programme helicopter refused to be moved, and fewer than 100 were evacuated. A South African light plane equipped with a loudspeaker has now begun flying over the area, advising people to leave. At least 62 people have died so far in the floods, with 81,000 estimated to have lost their homes. Aid vital
The South Africans have established a forward base in the town of Caia, a central town built on high ground along the Zambezi. Two large helicopters are being used to transport food and shelter, while two smaller ones will rescue people isolated by the high waters.
The two British-funded helicopters have been evacuating people from flooded areas and delivering food supplies. A spokeswoman for the UK Government's Department for International Development said the Puma helicopters, chartered from South Africa, had rescued 200 people on Friday alone. Relief workers say that providing aid to those caught by the rising waters is another high priority. Several thousand are reported trapped in the Inhangoma area in north-western Tete province, where the Shire river meets the Zambezi. A valley between the two rivers has become flooded, stranding local people on a shrinking island. "If we don't take steps to bring food to Inhangoma, we might have a disaster. Please don't wait for statistics. Go there and drop some food," said Environment Minister John Kachamila. Zimbabwe deaths Heavy rains and flooding throughout the region have also caused havoc in neighbouring countries.
In Malawi, 20,000 have been left homeless in two districts in the south. Half of the country is now affected by flooding. Although no one has been evacuated so far, officials say there is an urgent need to deliver food and equipment to those affected. Malawi has only four helicopters, and only eight lorries were immediately available for the rescue effort. The government has appealed to all ministries to make other vehicles available.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|