BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Robert Pigott
"With each passing day foot and mouth disease is being discovered in another part of the country"
 real 56k

The BBC's Daniel Boettcher
"Some smaller butchers are already running short"
 real 56k

The BBC's Angus Roxburgh
"There has been considerable panic spreading across Europe"
 real 56k

Saturday, 3 March, 2001, 12:17 GMT
Farmers apply to move livestock
Lorries are being disinfected to try and prevent the spread of the disease
Lorries are disinfected to prevent the disease spreading
Farmers in areas of the UK so far unaffected by the foot-and-mouth outbreak will be able to apply, from Saturday, for licences to move livestock to abattoirs.

The first movements of animals are expected to take place early next week.

Three more outbreaks of the disease were confirmed in Cornwall, Scotland and Durham on Saturday, bringing the total number of cases in the UK to 43.

Chief Veterinary Officer Jim Scudamore said most of the cases were in sheep or linked to sheep and the movement of animals.

He said the number cases caused by airborne infection was pretty low and usually in pigs.

About 45,000 animals have now been slaughtered as a result of the outbreaks, including 6,300 animals which may have come into contact with infected livestock.

The case confirmed by the Scottish Executive at a farm in Canonbie, in Dumfries and Galloway, was the fourth in Scotland and the second in Canonbie.

Officials from the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food had earlier confirmed the first foot-and-mouth case in Cornwall.

It was detected at an abattoir in South Petherwin, near Launceston, in cattle with links to a market in Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire.

The abattoir was already under restrictions for its connection with other outbreaks.

As the slaughter of animals continues, piles of carcasses were continuing to be burned across the country.

Fears that the disease had spread to mainland Europe were raised on Saturday after a suspected case of foot-and-mouth disease was found in the north of Belgium.

Emergency measures
Horse racing suspended
Ireland v Wales rugby postponed
National parks closed
Access to Scottish Mountains suspended
Countryside Alliance march postponed
Reservoir sites in Wales closed to public
Some zoos closed
Richmond Park, Bushy Park and Hampton Court Home Park remain closed for a further week
Initial results of tests at a pig farm in western Flanders proved negative, but more tests are being carried out.

Transportation of farm animals there has been totally banned.

Agriculture Minister, Nick Brown said the UK scheme allowing farmers and abattoir owners in disease-free areas to apply for licences to transport live animals would run under "tough conditions" which would be enforced "stringently".

The government order enforcing the scheme will also contain provisions for special sheep and cattle holding centres to be set up before the animals go on to slaughterhouses, while farmers could be banned from travelling with their animals.

"This is not a return to normal business," said Mr Brown.

"The volume will be less than usual and strict conditions will have to be met.

Plans welcomed

"Nonetheless, I hope this move will mark the beginning of an orderly return to business for Britain's livestock farmers and meat industry."

Mr Brown admitted there may still be some "localised shortages" of meat with smaller retailers, such as town butchers, failing to get supplies.

Farming bosses, who on Thursday predicted the crisis would cost the farming and food industries £775m if it was not brought under control within three months, welcomed the new plans for limited livestock movements.

Chief Veterinary Officer Jim Scudamore said the plans for temporary movements were unlikely to pose a risk of further foot-and-mouth outbreaks as all animals would be slaughtered within 24 hours of arriving at abattoirs.

Blunts Farm in Wootton, Northamptonshire
The burning of carcasses continues
The shortest known incubation period for the disease so far was 36 hours, he said.

He added that officials were still trying to trace a further 67,000 animals.

More than 30 vets from the United States, New Zealand, Canada and Australia were due to arrive in Britain early next week to help with the crisis, he said,

It has also emerged that four farmers are to face court action, accused of breaking the ban by transporting livestock.

One farmer from Cumbria and three from Herefordshire face prosecution, it was disclosed. If convicted they could be fined up to £5,000.

Colin Hebson, of Chapel Farm, Cotehill, near Carlisle, will appear before the town's magistrates on Monday accused of breaking the Foot and Mouth Declaratory (Controlled Area) Order 2001.

Herefordshire Council said three farmers each faced prosecution under the 1981 Animal Health Act and would appear at Hereford Magistrates Court on the same day.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

03 Mar 01 | Europe
Foot-and-mouth scare hits Belgium
02 Mar 01 | Asia-Pacific
NZ's foot and mouth 'witch-hunt'
02 Mar 01 | Sci/Tech
Cold spell link to foot-and-mouth
02 Mar 01 | UK Politics
Blair offers hope to farmers
02 Mar 01 | Other Sports
Cheltenham hopes rise
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories