BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 2 March, 2001, 15:32 GMT
Estrada challenge thrown out
Joseph Estrada and wife Luisa Ejercito
Estrada faces corruption charges
The Philippine Supreme Court has affirmed that the country's new leader, Gloria Arroyo, is the legitimate president.

It has also ruled that her deposed predecessor Joseph Estrada cannot invoke immunity if the new government brings charges against him.

Arroyo
Gloria Arroyo welcomed the ruling
Mr Estrada, who is facing investigation for alleged corruption and economic plunder, had asked the court to declare he was still the legitimate president and therefore immune to lawsuits.

The former movie star fled the presidential palace on 20 January amid a military-backed popular uprising following the sudden collapse of his impeachment trial on corruption charges.

But Mr Estrada said he had not resigned when he left the palace, and Ms Arroyo was only the acting president.

However, the court was unanimous in pronouncing Ms Arroyo's legitimacy.

"Estrada has effectively resigned by his acts and statements," Justice Reynato Puno said in a written ruling.

Nine of the 13 judges in the hearing also voted to strip Mr Estrada of immunity while four reserved their judgment.

Charges

Ms Arroyo welcomed the court's decision, which observers believe will restore investor confidence.

"To say that we are pleased is an understatement," her chief of staff Renato Corona said.

Anti-Estrada protest in the Philippines
A popular uprising toppled Mr Estrada
"The victory is not only for President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo but the entire nation. We've never been bothered by this and we've always been confident we would win the case," he added.

Mr Estrada has been accused of hiding an unexplained fortune worth up to $400m, in secret bank accounts and mansions built for his mistresses.

Government lawyers were due to file charges against Mr Estrada last month, but the Supreme Court gave him a reprieve while it assessed his challenge.

The charges include economic plunder - a crime punishable with the death sentence.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Graft focus on Estrada's wife
15 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada court case triggers clashes
08 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Lawsuit filed to seize Estrada's wealth
23 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada eyeing talk-show job
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories