| You are in: World: Africa | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Friday, 2 March, 2001, 17:48 GMT
Funeral attacked in Burundi
![]() Burundi's turmoil has continued since 1993
Renewed fighting in Burundi between Hutu rebels and government forces is continuing to claim lives.
Five people were killed early on Friday when mourners at a funeral came under machine gun and rocket fire by the rebels. A week of clashes concentrated around the capital, Bujumbura, between the Tutsi-dominated army and Hutu rebels has now left more than 40 people dead.
The mourners, who were attending the funeral of an army officer killed in a rebel offensive at the weekend, were ambushed at a cemetery in the district of Mpanda, some 10km north of the capital, Bujumbura. Witnesses said Hutu rebels hidden behind bushes near the main international airport opened fire on the funeral cortege. The attack took place in a known supply corridor used by Hutu rebels of the National Liberation Forces (FLN).
However, there are suggestions these fighters belong to the other main rebel movement, the Forces for the Defence of Democracy (FDD). Mortar bombs Two civilians were killed and a third injured when rebels shelled northern areas of Bujumbura overnight. The rebels said they were launching mortar bombs on military targets in Bujumbura and would widen the scope of their attacks. "We are not going to stay just in [the poor Hutu suburb of] Kinama. Our aim is the whole country," a senior rebel commander told Reuters new agency. "We are aiming only at military targets, but unfortunately there often are civilian houses nearby that can be damaged." The army said on Wednesday it had repulsed a rebel attack on Bujumbura and retaken control of suburban areas previously held by rebels. Peace moves The start of the latest fighting coincided with a peace summit chaired by Nelson Mandela in Arusha in Tanzania, where little progress appears to be being made.
Burundi's civil war began after the assassination of the country's Hutu president seven-and-a-half years ago. As many as 200,000 people are believed to have lost their lives in the conflict so far.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|