BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Interviews 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 2 March, 2001, 13:39 GMT
Tory in election cash row
EU parliament
The UKIP advocates Britain's withdrawal from Europe
A leading member of the UK Independence party has alleged it was offered a "financial inducement" by a Tory peer not to run candidates against certain shadow cabinet members at the general election.

Nigel Farage, a South East MEP, said he was approached in January in an attempt to get candidates to stand down in marginal constituencies.


We will not enter into special deals with anyone

Tory Central Office statement
A report in The Times newspaper alleges the Tory peer planned to set up a £2m fund to persuade UKIP members to refrain from standing against prominent eurosceptics.

Mr Farage said that a number of unnamed eurosceptic Tory MPs had been "interested in this project", although he insisted the initiative was a "private" one not sanctioned by Central Office.

The Conservative Party distanced itself from the allegations, saying the alleged offer was made on the peer's own account and had nothing to do with the party leadership.

Tory candidates would fight the election on leader William Hague's policy of "in Europe, not run by Europe", a spokeswoman said.

"We will not enter into special deals with anyone and we will not compromise our policies or principles over Europe," she added.

Nigel Farage
Nigel Farage says he was approached by Tory peer
The alleged fund was apparently considered after fears that the UKIP, which advocates Britain's withdrawal from the European Union, would split the anti-Europe vote and hand key seats to Labour.

The money would have been raised from a coalition of Tory sympathisers against the single currency.

According to The Times report, a list of 30 eurosceptic MPs was drawn up in the hope that they could be spared a challenge from the UKIP.

But the plans are said to have broken down when rumours of the list spread.

'Bribing' claim

Labour responded by calling on Mr Hague for an immediate explanation.

Labour's general election co-ordinator Douglas Alexander said the alleged offer amounted to one political party bribing another.

He said: "William Hague must immediately offer a full and total account of the actions of this party in relation to this offer.

"Bribing at a local or national level must not have any place in a democracy."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

21 Mar 00 | UK Politics
Former UKIP leader quits party
09 Jan 00 | UK Politics
Tory Euro-sceptic considers defection
03 Jan 00 | UK Politics
Gorman denies defection report
03 Jun 99 | News
Vote Tory, UKIP founder says
19 Jul 99 | UK Politics
What next for the UKIP?
01 Oct 99 | UK Politics
Ex-Tory: 'Follow me to escape Europe'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories