BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 2 March, 2001, 11:46 GMT
Unionists step up sanctions
The future of the Stormont government is threatened
Sinn Fein's Stormont ministers are subject to a ban
The Ulster Unionist Party has said it has increased its sanctions against Sinn Fein ministers in Northern Ireland's power-sharing executive.

First Minister David Trimble imposed a ban last October in an attempt to get the IRA to re-engage with the body overseeing decommissioning.

He has refused to authorise the attendance of Sinn Fein ministers Martin McGuinness and Bairbre de Brun at meetings of the North-South Ministerial Council.

However, the ban was later declared unlawful by the High Court.


This is a significant escalation of sanctions against Sinn Fein by the UUP

Ulster Unionist spokesman

On Friday morning, an Ulster Unionist spokesman said UUP ministers had refused to attend a North-South Ministerial Council meeting in Armagh, scheduled to take place later.

The spokesman said: "We made it clear that Ulster Unionist Party ministers would not attend.

"This is because of the continuing failure of the republican movement to decommission its weaponry as promised by the IRA on 6 May last year.

"This is a significant escalation of sanctions against Sinn Fein by the UUP."

Intensive talks

The spokesman added that the "refusal of the republican movement to honour its commitments on disarmament" was the main reason for instability within the political process.

The comments come as the British and Irish governments try to find a deal on decommissioning, demilitarisation and police reform, which are threatening to topple the peace process.

The two governments have pencilled in next Tuesday as a possible date for round-table talks aimed at ending the political stalemate.

The talks could go ahead, possibly at Hillsborough in County Down if it is decided sufficient progress has been made over the weekend.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

Analysis

Background

Profiles

SPECIAL REPORTS
See also:

06 Feb 01 | Northern Ireland
Unionists retain ban on Sinn Fein
11 Feb 01 | Northern Ireland
Paisley criticises ban threat
09 Feb 01 | Northern Ireland
Trimble: 'Sinn Fein veto to stay'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories