| You are in: Health | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 1 March, 2001, 15:46 GMT
£60m heart surgery boost
![]() The extra money could shorten waits for heart operations
Health Secretary Alan Milburn has pledged £65m to improve heart surgery across England, and increase the number of specialist chest pain clinics.
The money is part of the government's existing efforts to cut waiting times for heart bypass surgery to just three months. And he has vowed to relieve the chronic shortage of cardiologists - specialist heart doctors - which means many are working "single-handed", with no colleague to back them up.
The government has also given heart surgery at the troubled Bristol Royal Infirmary a vote of confidence, with many of the millions going to build a new operating theatre and increase adult operations by 380 a year. The pledges have been welcomed by the British Heart Foundation, which earlier on Thursday criticised the standard of care on offer to many cardiac patients because doctors have no-one with whom to discuss cases. Mr Milburn said: "The extra doctors and nurses, the new facilities and equipment, delivered through the NHS Plan means we can cut waiting times for cancer and heart disease patients. 140 Clinics "The extra £60 million I am announcing today will expand and improve heart surgery services where the need is greatest. "This investment in heart services is vital." "Single-handed cardiologists do sterling work often in very difficult circumstances. By changing the way heart services are delivered we can ensure that by 2004 there will be no NHS hospitals with single handed cardiologists." Among the hospitals to benefit from the £60m will be Wolverhampton, Papworth, Bristol and South Tees. By April, 140 rapid access chest pain clinics, which can assess patients suffering these symptoms, will be opened, the government said. Every acute hospital trust will have one by 2003. The National Director for Coronary Heart Disease, Dr Roger Boyle, said: "The new money will enable many more heart operations to be carried out in future and the further £5m for chest pain clinics will help to ensure that these facilities are available across the country." Sir Charles George, from the British Heart Foundation, said: "We are delighted by today's announcement from the Secretary of State about the Government's £60 million investment. "We are pleased that the Government is continuing to address these important issues - as well as striving to tackle the unacceptable inequalities in access to healthcare for coronary heart disease. "There is still work to be done in the longer term, including the training of specialist cardiac doctors and nurses, prevention schemes and rehab. programmes." |
See also:
Top Health stories now:
Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Health stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|