| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 1 March, 2001, 12:52 GMT
Borneo emergency ruled out
![]() Megawati was embraced by refugees
Indonesian Vice President Megawati Sukarnoputri has indicated that a state of emergency will not be imposed in Central Kalimantan, where outbursts of ethnic violence have killed at least 400 people.
Mrs Megawati was speaking after a visit to refugee camps in the troubled province, where tens of thousands have been displaced by the killings. "I am very glad the local parliament asked us not to let a civil emergency status be imposed because the best thing is actually to avoid such a situation," she said.
The official comments came as President Abdurrahman Wahid was criticised by one of his own ministers for refusing to cut-short a foreign tour to deal with the humanitarian crisis.
Warm welcome Mrs Megawati wept as she visited a refugee camp in the port town of Sampit, where she received a warm welcome from Madurese waiting to leave Kalimantan. The BBC's correspondent in Indonesia, Richard Galpin, described Mrs Megawati's visit as something of a public relations exercise, following accusations that she and Mr Wahid had been lethargic in their response to the crisis.
They are facing disease and malnutrition, and six have died while waiting to be evacuated from the island. In a bid to halt the violence Indonesian police are now under orders to shoot rioters on sight. Doctors at the refugee camp in Sampit say that there is a risk of an outbreak of typhoid. "We lack everything. We have hardly any food, water or medicine," said Doctor Qomaruddin Sukhami. Sickness and despair "It is chaos at the camp. No one is managing it," said Lenard Milich, a UN World Food Programme official. Disinfectants and sleeping materials are also lacking. Many refugees are suffering from diarrhoea, which has killed five so far, two of them children. One distraught refugee committed suicide, doctors said. The Indonesia Red Cross has provided some aid, but other aid pledged by non-governmental organisations in Australia, Germany, and Singapore has yet to arrive. Mounting criticism
Mrs Megawati's visit to Sampit came as criticism mounted over President Abdurrahman Wahid's refusal to cut short a two-week foreign tour and return to oversee the humanitarian crisis in Central Kalimantan province. Research and Technology Minister A S Hikam has joined those urging Mr Wahid to return, the first minister to do so. "Personally, I think he should return home so that the problem can be resolved more speedily," Mr Hikam, a friend of the president, said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|