BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



BBC Scotland's Nigel Robson reports
"It was earlier this week that the first of the householders involved started moving out"
 real 56k

Thursday, 1 March, 2001, 08:04 GMT
City clearance deadline extended
Moredun Park
The evacuation of Moredun Park residents is delayed
The deadline for clearing three blocks of flats in south Edinburgh because of fears about their stability has been extended by 24 hours.

It was earlier this week that the first of the householders involved started moving out of their Moredun Park homes.

Similar underground conditions had been detected there as in neighbouring Ferniehill, where a number of properties collapsed last autumn and subsequently had to be demolished.

Subsidence in old quarry workings has been blamed, for a situation described by a local councillor as unprecedented in Scotland.

Moredun Park
All residents will be evacuated by Friday
According to city housing officials, 30 individuals and families are already out of the Moredun Park buildings.

Fourteen more, they say, will be leaving on Thursday and the final 10 on Friday.

All are joining relatives or switching to alternative accommodation. Guards started patrolling the area on Wednesday night and security fencing is being erected.

On Monday examination of the site will start, with bore holes being drilled and sonar probes used.

It was disclosed on Wednesday that investigators are also to check about 12 more spots in Edinburgh as a precaution.

The Scottish Executive has said it will consider providing financial aid for the residents who have to move home.

An executive spokeswoman said it had set up a co-ordination group to provide support for Edinburgh City Council.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Feb 01 | Scotland
Capital evacuations get under way
15 Dec 00 | Scotland
Residents flee sinking homes
22 Nov 00 | Scotland
Subsidence inquiry launched
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories