BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 28 February, 2001, 20:49 GMT
Momentum builds for Milosevic arrest
Slobodan Milosevic
There is a deadline to hand Mr Milosevic to the Hague
By Paul Wood in Belgrade

A newspaper opinion poll in Belgrade has given the surprise finding that a majority of Serbs want former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic to be extradited to the Hague to face a war crimes trial.

Many of Serbia's new democratic leaders have suggested that the public is not yet ready to see the former president appear at the UN tribunal.


We are steadily building a case and when we have it, we will arrest Milosevic

Serbian deputy prime minister
But more than half of the 910 people questioned for the Belgrade daily Blic said this is exactly what should happen.

In Bosnia and Croatia, Hague suspects have frequently been transformed into national heros.

This unexpected opinion poll finding in Serbia, suggesting that the case of Mr Milosevic may be different, will hearten the tribunal's chief prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte.

She has given Belgrade until the end of March to signal that it will hand over Mr Milosevic, saying that the far more serious allegations of genocide and crimes against humanity should be tried before any offences against Yugoslav law.

Her timetable coincides with that set by the United States Congress, which has passed legislation to suspend American aid unless Serbia confirms by 31 March that it will extradite Mr Milosevic.

Indictments

Meanwhile, Belgrade is awash with rumours that the authorities are preparing to detain the ex-president - but not on the charges set out by the Hague.

Carla Del Ponte
Carla Del Ponte should be encouraged by poll findings
Local prosecutors are reportedly working on a number of indictments. One is said to charge him with giving false information about his assets when he bought his luxurious residence in the up-market Belgrade suburb of Dedinje in 1999.

Another accuses him of having transferred 173kg (380 pounds) of gold out of the country last year.

However, a Serbian deputy prime minister, Jarko Korac, told the BBC that the authorities were most intent on seeing him arrested in connection with the campaign of apparently state sponsored assassinations, which marked the final years of the old regime.

The former head of state security, Rade Markovic, who was arrested at the weekend, is being questioned about what orders he received from the then president, Mr Korac said.

"We are steadily building a case and when we have it, we will arrest him [Milosevic]," Mr Korac said.

One alternative theory, put forward by the former Yugoslav prime minister, Milan Panic, is that Mr Milosevic will be committed to a mental institution.

"He is mad - no doubt about it," Mr Panic, now a leading Serbian industrialist, told the BBC.

Mr Milosevic, himself, has always denied any wrongdoing.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

08 Dec 00 | Europe
Yugoslavia seeks missing millions
22 Nov 00 | Europe
UN probes Milosevic millions
28 Feb 01 | Europe
Call to defend Milosevic
26 Feb 01 | Europe
Milosevic faces fraud probe
01 Feb 01 | Europe
UN stands by Milosevic indictment
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories