BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 28 February, 2001, 17:24 GMT
Claims conflict on Burundi fighting

There are conflicting reports from Burundi over the latest fighting between rebels and government forces in northern suburbs of the capital, Bujumbura.

The government says it has regained control of the area, which was captured by Hutu rebels of the National Liberation Front in violent fighting earlier in the week.

But a spokesman for the rebels said they were still in the area and planned to make further attacks.

Reports say up to forty people have been killed in the fighting, which also affected flights at Burundi's main airport.

Thousands of people have fled the area. The fighting comes after the former South African president, Nelson Mandela attended talks in Bujumbura on Monday in an attempt to revive peace talks.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories