BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 28 February, 2001, 15:41 GMT
Bangladeshi leader warns kidnappers
Two kids watch helicopter search
A helicopter searches the area near the kidnap
By Waliur Rahman Miraz in Dhaka

Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has said her government will use force if tribal abductors fail to release three European engineers who were kidnapped nearly two weeks ago in south-eastern Bangladesh.

Bangladeshi prime minister
Sheikh Hasina: Commandos have been on standby
She told a news conference in Dhaka that army commandos were ready to free the hostages.

Briton Tim Selby and his Danish colleagues Torben Mikkelsen and Nils Hulgaard were abducted while surveying a road construction project in the remote Chittagong Hill Tracts region.

The prime minister says the government is trying to free the hostages through mediation - even though the kidnappers are not responding to negotiation proposals made by the authorities.

Military on standby

She said that if the kidnappers failed to release the hostages, the government would use army commandos who have been kept on stand-by.

Commandos were used a few years ago to rescue government officials who were kidnapped by a group of tribals in the same area of the hill tracts.

Kidnapped Briton Tim Selby
Briton Tim Selby: Was surveying road project
However, Sheikh Hasina did not mention any time frame for army action.

The three Europeans were allegedly abducted by a tribal group opposed to the 1997 peace treaty in the Chittagong Hill Tracts between the government and main tribal leaders.

However, so far, no tribal group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

Both the British and the Danish Governments have expressed concern over the hostage crisis.

No direct contact

The prime minister said that she appreciated their concern, but suggested that the Europeans were not supposed to be in the area from which they were kidnapped.

She questioned why they had gone there.

Meanwhile, government negotiators again tried to make direct contact with the abductors on Wednesday, but returned from the jungle hideout without any result.

Later, they told journalists that the abductors' demand for $1.6m in ransom would not be entertained.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladesh army strikes at kidnappers
24 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladesh's rebel heartland
23 Feb 01 | South Asia
Bangladesh kidnappers toughen stance
22 Feb 01 | South Asia
Kidnappers 'agree new meeting'
19 Feb 01 | South Asia
Hostages 'in good health'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories