BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Entertainment
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 28 February, 2001, 13:13 GMT
Clinton attacks media
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire $1m winner John Carpenter in November 1999
Bill Clinton says TV shows are over-exposed by the US media
Former US president Bill Clinton has attacked the country's media for covering TV programmes like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in preference to worldwide political issues.


I gave speeches while president on topics like climate change until I was blue in the face, but they were not deemed newsworthy by you

Bill Clinton
Mr Clinton, speaking at a New York conference backed by media trade journal Variety, said he found 24,520 news stories about the quiz show, compared with 8,335 pieces on his global debt relief initiative, launched in 1999.

"The American people need to know, care and understand more about what happens beyond our borders, and it simply can't happen without the press," he told the Front Row conference, aimed at media executives as well as Wall Street analysts and investors.

He added that 12,476 stories were written about the reality TV hit Survivor compared with 2,567 about the spread of Aids in the former Soviet Union, and that only stories about war seemed to interest editors and broadcasters.

Not newsworthy

"I gave speeches while president on topics like climate change until I was blue in the face, but they were not deemed newsworthy by you," he said.

Bill Clinton
Mr Clinton also said he had no plans for a Hollywood career
Mr Clinton, who left office after eight years last month, said the US media should cover subjects such as global warming, Aids, poverty and illiteracy, and make them relevant to the American public.

A recent New York Times feature about how Brazil had managed to reduce its HIV infection rate was an example of how journalism could inform people and help them change public policy, he said.

"I can't answer for the pressures you're under, and believe it or not, I can sympathise," he said.

"There may be more tools to entertain, but you also have more tools to inform than ever before."

No Hollywood career


I'm a moviegoer, not a moviemaker

Bill Clinton
It had been rumoured Mr Clinton would use the speech to signal his interest in a career in Hollywood, notably with the DreamWorks studio, co-owned by Steven Spielberg.

But the 54-year-old told reporters after the speech: "I'm a moviegoer, not a moviemaker."

Meanwhile, the chief executive of CBS has confirmed he spoke to Mr Clinton while he was in office about two friends of the president whose series had been cancelled before it was broadcast.

Harry Thomason and Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, who made a film about Mr Clinton in 1992, were paid around $1m in compensation after The Good Life was pulled by CBS.

Leslie Moonves confirmed he had spoken to Mr Clinton about the matter, but said: "He is a freind of mine. No business decision has ever been made on the basis of a conversation with him."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Feb 01 | Americas
Fugitive defends Clinton pardon
24 Feb 01 | Americas
Hillary dragged into pardons inquiry
14 Aug 00 | Americas
Lieberman attacks Hollywood
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Entertainment stories