| You are in: UK | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 28 February, 2001, 23:38 GMT
Fresh appeal over TA blast
![]() Deputy Assistant Commissioner Alan Fry holds a replica of the device
Police have renewed their appeal for information about an explosion at a Territorial Army barracks which blinded a 14-year-old cadet.
Stephen Menary's left hand was blown off last week by a bomb packed inside a torch at a Territorial Army base in Shepherds Bush, west London.
Anti-terrorist branch officers say they have "an open mind" about who planted the bomb. The head of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Alan Fry, visited the scene of the blast on Wednesday afternoon, described the device as a "cowardly and murderous attack". He said he was in no doubt that whoever planted it meant to cause maximum damage and injury and that they could strike again. Mother's anguish The cadet's mother later told BBC One's Crimewatch UK of her determination that her son will maintain "his terrific character". Carol Menary, who has been at her son's bedside at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital since the attack, said she was staying positive for her son. She told Crimewatch UK that her son had already lost the sight in one eye, through a rare form of cancer, when he was four months old. The teenager, who comes from the White City estate in west London, is now completely blind, and also risks losing the hearing in his left ear. Ms Menary added that she tried to "think of positive things" to help her son. "I try to think how I could help him, what gadgets there are. I won't let him shrivel up, I'm not letting that happen to him." She said she would be strong for the sake of her son. "He's got a terrific sense of character and I don't want that to break down," she said. "His idea was to be a policeman or a soldier." Scene of the crime Mr Fry sent his sympathies to Stephen's family, adding: " They are being particularly brave. The challenges that lie before him are too immense for us to understand." Detectives revisiting the scene of the blast appealed for more information and showed a replica of the torch used. They have not ruled out the possibility that the device was planted by dissident Irish terrorists, and have urged people to be alert for suspicious packages - especially people with links to the military. Mr Fry said scientific tests were still being carried out on the origin of the high explosive.
He described the torch as a plastic, US military type item which is available from any high street army supplies or camping store. Mr Fry said Stephen had picked the torch up, found it would not light up then connected the battery before switching it on again and then it went off in his face. He again appealed for anyone who was near the barracks in South Africa Road, White City at around 1900GMT on 21 February and who may have seen a suspicious person or vehicle to contact them. They can call the Anti-Terrorist Branch hotline in confidence on 0800 789 321.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|