BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Entertainment
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 27 February, 2001, 17:59 GMT
Rap star denies shooting link
Lil' Kim
Lil' Kim's debut album was produced by Sean "Puffy" Combs
Brooklyn rapper Lil' Kim has said a shooting which happened after she left a New York radio station was unconnected to her.

One man was wounded in the incident outside the Hot97, WQHT radio station on 25 February when five men fired 22 bullets.

Reports said that Lil' Kim, real name Kimberly Jones, was driven away in a limousine as soon as the shooting started, and was later questioned by police at her home.

But she denied knowing who started shooting, or why.

Her manager, Hillary Weston, said: "Lil' Kim and her security had nothing to do whatsoever with the incident."

The New York Daily News newspaper reported the incident was the result of a feud between Lil' Kim and rival rappers, Capone-N-Noreaga.


I figured somebody was going to come back and put more [bullets] in my head

Efrain Ocasio
Shooting victim
The shooting took place at approximately 1515 after the rap star left the hip hop radio station, based in Greenwich Village.

Efrain Ocasio, 31, who police described as hanger-on with Capone-N-Noreaga, was treated for a back wound at hospital and was released.

'Playing dead'

Ocasio said that he did not know those behind the attack. "All of a sudden a group of guys started shooting, and the next thing I knew, I was hit," he told the Daily News.

"I had to stay on the floor three seconds playing I was dead. I figured somebody was going to come back and put more in my head."

The feud is said to have started in September last year when a Capone-N-Noreaga release featured a scathing rap about Lil' Kim.

Lil' Kim, 25, released her debut album, Hardcore, in 1996. The album was produced by Sean "Puffy" Combs, who is currently facing charges relating to a shooting in a New York club on December 27 1999.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 Feb 01 | Entertainment
Lopez may testify at Puffy trial
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Entertainment stories