BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 26 February, 2001, 17:16 GMT
'No threat' to supermarket supplies
Fully-stocked shelves at the supermarket
Supermarkets have seen no evidence of panic buying
Supermarkets are reassuring customers that meat supplies will not be affected by the foot-and-mouth outbreak.

The large stores say they are not anticipating any shortages of meat but are in talks with meat importers as a safeguard in case the seven-day ban on livestock movement is extended.

But plentiful supplies will depend to a large extent on people continuing to avoid panic buying.

A spokesman for Sainsbury's said customers had so far been sensible, with no incidents of stockpiling.

"We have got plenty of British meat stock still around but we will be talking to suppliers and we will be looking to import meat if necessary," he said.


...Our buyers are absolutely working around the clock to make sure that we secure supplies

Asda

Asda noticed increased sales of chicken and poultry over the weekend, but also said no-one was panic buying.

A spokeswoman for the supermarket chain said: "We are confident that as long as customers stick to normal buying patters, that we have secured supplies certainly to see us through the rest of this week.

"This is a developing situation and our buyers are absolutely working around the clock to make sure that we secure supplies.

"We are looking at importing beef from Ireland and lamb from New Zealand to make sure that we can continue to supply our customers normally."

Tesco said it had stocks for the "foreseeable future" but it would be keeping the situation under review.

It confirmed it is looking for alternative pork suppliers in the Republic of Ireland.

A spokesman for the Meat and Livestock Commission, which promotes British meat, said: "We had a look at the end of last week and the meat supplies are certainly adequate to last at the moment without any bother.

"Obviously supplies will diminish as time goes on but certainly there is enough to cover the seven-day movement ban."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Feb 01 | Business
Counting the cost of the disease
23 Feb 01 | Business
A pig farmer's story
26 Feb 01 | UK
Archive: The 1967 outbreak
26 Feb 01 | UK
Animal ban 'will cost jobs'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories