| You are in: Sci/Tech | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 26 February, 2001, 17:49 GMT
UK asteroid response 'unsatisfactory'
![]() Astronomers want a British asteroid-warning centre
By BBC News Online science editor Dr David Whitehouse
Scientists have criticised the UK Government's response to an expert report on the threat to the Earth from asteroids and comets.
Lord Sainsbury announced on Saturday that the UK would continue discussions about the potential threat identified by the Near Earth Object (Neo) Task Force last year. Some experts had hoped for immediate action. Dr Benny Peiser, of Liverpool's John Moores University, said: "It is a mixed message: many promises, but no delivery." Lost momentum He told BBC News Online: "Just days after US researchers announced that life on Earth was almost wiped out 250 million years ago by the impact of a giant asteroid or comet, the UK Government has published a half-hearted and largely non-committal response to the task force report on potentially hazardous near Earth objects. "It was perhaps too optimistic to hope that the government would implement all of the task force's 14 recommendations. But the failure to announce any significant action, or any financial commitment, is unsatisfactory," he said. Jonathan Tate of the pressure-group Spaceguard UK told BBC News Online: "With the encouraging report by the Neo task force last year, we felt we were making progress but I fear the momentum could now be lost." Spaceguard UK added in a statement: "A golden opportunity for the UK to take a world lead is in danger of being lost. "The Neo Task Force report significantly raised the profile of the impact hazard worldwide, and the promise of British government action had given many international organisations pause for thought. "The failure to follow this matter through is disappointing to all concerned." Forum for discussion A four-point package of measures to tackle the potential threat from asteroids and comets was announced by Lord Sainsbury on Saturday. These include:
The government has said it is considering refurbishing an existing telescope to hunt for and monitor rogue asteroids. However, some astronomers argue that re-fitting an existing telescope would not work and that a new telescope is needed. Welsh observatory In the absence of an official body to study the neo threat, Spaceguard UK, a privately run organisation that has campaigned for government action since 1996, is establishing one of its own, based in mid-Wales. The Spaceguard centre will be situated at a private observatory on a hill overlooking the town of Knighton. It should be in operation by the autumn. "Its aim is to ensure that the public will remain thoroughly informed on neo research and planetary defence issues," Jonathan Tate said. "It will also continue to lobby the government in order to ensure that its vague promises will be followed by concrete action." Commenting on the issue of asteroid defence, space visionary Sir Arthur C Clarke said from his home in Sri Lanka: "The science fiction writer Larry Niven once said, 'The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space programme.' It will serve us right if we suffer the same fate."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Sci/Tech stories now:
Links to more Sci/Tech stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Sci/Tech stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|