BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 26 February, 2001, 13:23 GMT
Wright's father hopeful of proof
David Wright visited his son's murder scene
David Wright suspects collusion in his son's murder
The father of a loyalist paramilitary leader has been given papers which he believes will give more information about his son's murder in prison.

Billy Wright, leader of the loyalist paramilitary splinter group the Loyalist Volunteer Force, was shot dead while serving a sentence in the Maze prison on 27 December 1997.

Wright, from Portadown in County Armagh, founded the LVF splitting away from the mainstream paramilitary Ulster Volunteer Force.

He was killed by three members of the republican paramilitary Irish National Liberation Army.

Documents were refused

His father David Wright believes that the authorities colluded in the murder in the high security prison.

Billy Wright
Billy Wright: Murdered inside the Maze prison
Last week Mr Wright applied for a judicial review of Coroner John Leckey's decision to refuse him access to the statements of two senior prison officers.

His lawyer Seamus Treacy, QC, said then it would have taken an hour for the three INLA killers to cut through a security fence with improvised wire cutters and get onto the roof of H-block Six.

Yet they were not seen before they murdered Billy Wright as he sat in a prison van.

Mr Treacy said Mr Wright wanted to see the statement made by Principal Officer Molloy, who had taken a phone call directing him to stand down staff in the watch tower overlooking H-6.

It was claimed Mr Leckey was in breach of Article 2 of the European Convention of Human Rights which guarantees disclosure of all documentation to enable a proper investigation to be carried out into a death.

Campaign

The court heard on Monday that the documents had subsequently been faxed to Mr Wright's solicitors.

Speaking outside the court Mr Wright said the statements of Officer Molloy and Governor Barlow related to the sequence of events on the morning of the murder.

He added: "I am overjoyed at getting copies of the statements of two senior prison officers.

"I regard this as a breakthrough in my campaign for a public inquiry into my son's murder."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Oct 00 | Northern Ireland
Wright killing inquiry demand
22 Sep 99 | Northern Ireland
New evidence 'makes murder inquiry essential'
21 Jun 99 | UK Politics
Calls for Wright murder probe
01 Feb 00 | Northern Ireland
LVF leader murder scene visit
07 Aug 00 | Northern Ireland
Inquiry into Wright corpse photos
20 Oct 00 | Northern Ireland
Early release for Wright killers
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories