BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 26 February, 2001, 17:49 GMT
Burundi peace talks fail
Armoured car on the streets of Bujumbura
Burundi's turmoil has continued since 1993
A new attempt to achieve a lasting peace settlement in Burundi has ended without progress, amid reports of intensified fighting near the capital, Bujumbura.

Several African presidents gathered in the northern Tanzanian town of Arusha to try to revive a multi-ethnic power-sharing agreement drawn up last August.

Burundi Map
A statement by the mediators expressed disappointment that the Burundian parties had again failed to agree on a transitional leader in a multi-ethnic power sharing arrangement.

Mr Mandela is reported to have threatened to resign as mediator in frustration over the lack of progress.

Those taking part in the talks include the presidents of Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, Zambia and Ethiopia.

Fighting

More than 30 people were reportedly killed in a northern suburb that had been overrun by a Hutu rebel group opposed to the peace process.

Latest reports say the fighting has intensified, with troops from the Tutsi-dominated army attempting to dislodge the Hutu rebels.

Nelson Mandela arrives in Tanzania on Sunday
Mandela: "Great progress up to now"
People fleeing the area said the rebels were taking up positions in abandoned houses in Kinama from where they were firing on government positions to the south in Kamenge.

On Sunday night, Defence Minister Cyrille Ndayerukiye said the army had already retaken part of Kinama and he warned residents of the capital to remain vigilant because of the threat of Hutu rebels penetrating districts.

Rebel split

The two main Hutu rebel groups, the National Liberation Forces, FNL, and the Forces for the Defence of Democracy, both refused to sign the peace accord.

President Buyoya
President Buyoya may form part in the transition
FNL military commanders announced the sacking of their leader Cossan Kabura on Saturday, citing his involvement in negotiations "on his own initiative".

A supporter of the replacement leader, Rwasa Agathon, has claimed responsibility for Sunday's assault on Kinama.

The Tutsi-dominated Burundian Government and army have been fighting the Hutu rebel groups since 1993 with a cost of more than 200,000 civilian lives.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Aug 00 | Africa
Arusha: No magic formula
25 Aug 00 | Africa
Burundi's deadly deadlock
02 Feb 01 | Africa
Burundi hunger crisis warning
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories