BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Tom Carver
"Suddenly communities and even individuals find themselves cut off"
 real 56k

The BBC's Jane Standley
"People are packing what small stocks they have"
 real 56k

Silvano Langa interviewed on Newshour
"The situation is getting worse"
 real 28k

Sunday, 25 February, 2001, 15:35 GMT
Flood aid for Mozambique
Rescue helicopter
South African pilots helped during last year's floods
South Africa is to send aircraft and medical personnel to Mozambique to help the country's flood victims.

It follows an appeal by the Mozambican Government on Wednesday for $30m in flood aid.

At least 40 Mozambicans have died and more than 44,000 been forced to flee their homes recently, only a year after floods caused widespread devastation.

central Mozambique
The authorities have opened the floodgates at the Cahora Bassa dam on the Zambezi river to prevent the dam wall from collapsing, but warn that this measure threatens the homes of a further 80,000 people.

Neighbouring Malawi is also severely affected by the floods, with over 200,000 believed to be displaced.

South African President Thabo Mbeki has ordered the military to send seven helicopters and three planes to provide humanitarian assistance to Mozambican flood victims, foreign affairs spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa said.

Pretoria will also provide food and medical supplies in an operation expected to cost two million rand ($256,000), Mr Mamoepa said.

South African pilots were widely praised for their role in last year's flood rescue effort.

Evacuation


If we have 10 helicopters we will be in a position to do a good job of evacuation

Mozambican official Silvano Langa
The Mozambican authorities have begun evacuating up to 80,000 people at risk from new flooding as water is released from Cahora Bassa.

Silvano Langa, director of the National Institute for Disaster Management, said rescuers had four to five days before water from the dam gets to towns downstream.

"Our major concern is Marromeu and Luabo where there are around 80,000 people. This is a very low lying area," said Mr Langa.

He said the dam was within 18cm (seven inches) of its critical level, and if water in the dam were allowed to rise any futher, there would be a danger of structural damage to the wall.

Malawian woman
Thousands are displaced in Malawi
The Mozambican army has sent one helicopter to the threatened area, and another is to follow.

"If we have 10 helicopters we will be in a position to do a good job of evacuation," Mr Langa said.

While some 200 boats are also involved in the evacuation exercise, the surging currents are making them less efficient.

He said floods had cut off the main road from the port of Beira to the town of Caia near the Zambezi River.

Rains have washed away roads and bridges in the provinces of Zambezia and Sofala, hampering efforts to distribute aid by road.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Feb 01 | Africa
Eyewitness: Malawi flood misery
23 Feb 01 | Africa
Mozambique fears more rain
22 Feb 01 | Africa
Mozambique in $30m flood appeal
20 Feb 01 | Africa
Concern over Mozambique's floods
01 Feb 01 | Africa
Mozambique flood damage spreads
29 Jan 01 | Africa
Mozambique hit by new floods
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories