| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Sunday, 25 February, 2001, 10:52 GMT
Borneo: Minister promises action over killings
The Indonesian security minister, Bambang Susilo Yudhoyono, says more troops are going to central Kalimantan to try to end the violence. He told the BBC that he hoped to bring the situation under control within three days. Mr Yudhoyono was speaking during a visit to the province by a high-level delegation of security chiefs. They went to Sampit -- the scene of the worst of last week's violence -- where troops are guarding the thousands of fleeing settlers crowded into temporary transit camps. Officials at the camps say conditions are so poor that at least five settlers died overnight. Indonesian naval ships have begun evacuating the settlers in large groups. The trouble in Borneo has reignited tensions over the role of President Abdurrahman Wahid. He has been criticised internationally and by opponents at home for being abroad on a Middle East tour during another crisis in Indonesia's provinces. But thousands of his supporters have again been taking part in demonstrations in his home province of East Java, attacking offices of the opposition Golkar party. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|