| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Saturday, 24 February, 2001, 12:27 GMT
Britain takes asteroid threat seriously
Britain plans to take a leading role in saving the Earth from any potential collision with an asteroid. The Science Minister, Lord Sainsbury, said the government had adopted a four-point plan on how to play its part in encouraging the international community to face up to the dangers posed by asteroids and similar cosmic objects. The plans include upgrading telescope facilities, encouraging a comprehensive exchange of information, and promoting informed international discussion. Lord Sainsbury's statement came two days after scientists in America said they had evidence that a massive asteroid struck the Earth two-hundred-and-fifty millions years ago, wiping out many early forms of life. A smaller asteroid strike is also blamed for the extinction of dinosaurs more than sixty-million years ago. An American space probe enhanced human understanding of asteroids by landing on one Eros last week. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|