BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Business
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Market Data 
Economy 
Companies 
E-Commerce 
Your Money 
Business Basics 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 23 February, 2001, 20:55 GMT
DaimlerChrysler to restructure
The Jeep Liberty replaces the Cherokee after 17 years
Schrempp's committee will oversee new product strategy
The board of DaimlerChrysler met on Friday to discuss a shake-up of its senior management.

Members of the board reportedly approved a radical plan by Jürgen Schrempp, chairman, to create a new executive committee, according to Reuters news agency.

The committee would oversee many of the group's divisions.

"There is full support from the board," said one source quoted by Reuters.

The changes are part of the German-US car maker's programme to cut costs and reverse a fall in underlying profits.

The company is also said to be looking at 8,000 layoffs within its Mitsubishi Motors workforce of 65,000.

DaimlerChrysler will officially unveil its plan at a press conference on Monday to announce its fourth-quarter results.

In control

As part of the plan, Mr Schrempp will take control of the new "executive automotive committee".

Jürgen Hubbert, who currently heads the Mercedes-Benz and Smart passenger division, would serve as Mr Schrempp's deputy.

The committee would oversee the group's Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler divisions.

It would also supervise the group's new product strategy, commercial vehicle activities and the alliance with Mitsubishi, according to an article in the Financial Times newspaper earlier this week.

The new centralised committee would replace a previous system of management with separate automotive, sales and marketing councils.

It would also streamline the group's decision-making process and make it easier to cut costs across the group.

Previous job cuts

Last month the group confirmed it was cutting 26,000 jobs - equivalent to one in five of its workforce - in a drive to pull out of the red.

Six plants, mainly in South and Central America, will be mothballed next year, with shifts cut at some US and Canadian factories, the firm said.

The announcement came at a difficult time for major US carmakers, all of which have reduced output in response to shrinking sales and growing competition from Asian and European rivals.

DaimlerChrysler has announced preliminary figures showing a 49% fall in underlying profits to 5.2bn euros ($4.8bn) for last year.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

07 Feb 01 | Business
Daimler slumps, Ford and GM warned
29 Jan 01 | Business
DaimlerChrysler axes 26,000 jobs
18 Jan 01 | Business
Ford profits fall 33%
11 Jan 01 | Business
DaimlerChrysler's cash flow problem
09 Jan 01 | Business
US carmakers hit on home ground
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Business stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Business stories