BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



David Thomas, student
"I feel a longer ban or even a custodial sentence would have been justified"
 real 56k

Friday, 23 February, 2001, 20:05 GMT
Student may sue rugby star
Mike Voyle, Wales international
Mike Voyle was given a six-month driving ban
The man injured after being run over by rugby international Mike Voyle in a hit-and-run accident is considering a private prosecution against the player.

Voyle was found guilty of driving without due care and attention in the accident, which left 19-year-old Cardiff student David Thomas with two leg fractures and internal injuries.

David Thomas
David Thomas has been unable to exercise
The Cardiff player was fined and banned from driving for six months.

David Thomas was once a footballer but he has not been able to do any exercise since the accident.

As well as a broken leg, he suffered serious internal injuries.

A court hearing on Thursday was told he was thrown across North Road in Cardiff "like a rag doll" when he was hit by a Fiat Brava car driven by Mike Voyle.

Voyle had already admitted that he failed to stop at the scene of the accident, and that he was uninsured.

But he fought charges of careless driving and of obstructing a police officer in the investigation.

Personal injury claim

The Cardiff RFC second row forward was fined £1,250 with £450 costs and banned from driving for six months after being found guilty of driving without due care and attention, and obstructing police investigating the case.

They ruled that he should have avoided the collision, and that he had wasted police time in lying about the whereabouts of his car the day after the crash.

Voyle told magistrates he had been very concerned about the health of Mr Thomas, and that he was sorry he had had to relive his ordeal during the court case.

Mr Thomas's lawyers are preparing a personal injury claim against the Welsh international.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Feb 01 | Wales
Banned rugby star may appeal
21 Nov 00 | Wales
Rugby star to stand trial
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories