BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 23 February, 2001, 16:41 GMT
New delay for Khmer Rouge trials
Skulls
The regime, led by Pol Pot, killed nearly 2 million people
The tribunal being established in Cambodia to prosecute Khmer Rouge leaders accused of genocide has suffered a new delay.


The Cambodian people have waited very long for over 20 years now that the nightmare is over

Peter Leuprecht, UN representative
Prime Minister Hun Sen has said the draft law for the trial needed revising as it had a few inconsistencies.

He cited a reference to the death penalty in the text and said it would have to be approved once again in parliament.

The law would have allowed for the first trials of Khmer Rouge leaders, known for their infamous "killing fields" and responsible for nearly two million deaths in the 1970s.

Khmer Rouge  photographed many of their victims
Almost every Cambodian family lost relatives to the regime
The announcement prompted the United Nations to urge Cambodia to reduce the delay to a minimum.

"People have waited for very long, for over 20 years now that the nightmare is over, so I think this is an additional reason for going ahead rapidly as soon as possible," said Peter Leuprecht, UN secretary general's special human rights representative to Cambodia, who has been visiting the country.

Efforts to set up the trial have encountered a string of hurdles, and for months last year, the UN and the Cambodian Government have been deadlocked over what form the trial should take.

The government has been accused of trying to delay and derail the trial, which the prime minister said could endanger stability and even cause civil war.

Sovereignty assertion

The draft had already been passed by both houses of parliament and needed only to be ratified by the king before becoming law.

Prime Minister Hun Sen
Hun Sen said the UN had to respect Cambodia's sovereignty
It will now have to go through the approval process again.

The prime minister said the Constitutional Council had found a reference in the draft to the country's 1956 penal code, which allowed for the use of the death penalty, which has since been abolished.

Mr Hun Sen said he would not talk again on the issue to the UN - which had pointed out some discrepancies between the draft law and the formula agreed by both sides.

"I am the Cambodian prime minister," he said. "So I must respect the Cambodian legislative bodies. I cannot respect any other."

The tribunal - which will include a mixture of foreign and Cambodian judges and is based on an American formula - was agreed on after intense negotiations last year.

Mass trials are not expected, but it is thought that up to 30 men, many aged in their 70s, would be tried.

The Khmer Rouge took power with their brutal form of radical communism in 1975, declaring it Year Zero and forcing millions to work on the land in brutal conditions.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

13 Jan 01 | Asia-Pacific
UN seeks Khmer tribunal changes
15 Jan 01 | Asia-Pacific
Khmer tribunal law passed by Senate
02 Jan 01 | Asia-Pacific
Cambodia backs genocide law
06 Jul 00 | Asia-Pacific
Khmer Rouge genocide deal
16 Apr 00 | Asia-Pacific
25 years since 'Year Zero'
17 Apr 98 | Asia-Pacific
Pol Pot's death confirmed
14 May 99 | Asia-Pacific
Cambodia's chief executioner charged
14 Apr 00 | Asia-Pacific
Pol Pot: Life of a tyrant
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories