BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Nick Childs
"The international tribunal's activities certainly remain controversial"
 real 28k

Friday, 23 February, 2001, 15:57 GMT
Russia: End war crimes trials
Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov
Russia questions Western involvement in the Balkans
Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov has called for the United Nations war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia to be shut down in the interest of stability in the Balkans.

In an interview with the Interfax news agency, Mr Ivanov said there was no need for the Hague-based tribunal, which was set up to prosecute suspects for alleged war crimes committed during the wars following the break-up of Yugoslavia.

The tribunal has indicted many Yugoslav officials, including former President Slobodan Milosevic.

Former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic
Milosevic: The tribunal's most wanted suspect
Many of those sought for crimes committed during the Croatian, Bosnian and Kosovo conflicts are believed to be living in the Balkans, but Yugoslavia has refused to hand suspects over.

It insists that any trials should be on Yugoslav soil.

"The tribunal was formed at a time when Bosnia and the Balkans were in a state of war, when there were no democratic institutions or institutions of justice," Mr Ivanov is quoted as saying.

"Today this is passing into history. Today Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Yugoslavia have democratic leaders."

The international tribunal itself, and its main Western backers, insist it still has an active mandate and many active indictments to pursue. The chief prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte, is on record as saying that trials could continue for the rest of the decade.

'Mistrust'

But Mr Ivanov is quoted as saying that the tribunal's continuing operation can only lead to mistrust and interfere with the resolution of problems in the region. Therefore, he says, the UN Security Council should consider ending the tribunal's work.

"We are sure that in this way, we would promote the stabilization of the situation in Yugoslavia and in the Balkans as a whole," he told Interfax.

The change of government in Yugoslavia has given war crimes prosecutors new hope that they might be able to bring suspects to trial. Last week, Belgrade promised it would exclude from its territory any war crimes suspects not holding Yugoslav nationality

Responding to Mr Ivanov's remarks, one Western diplomatic source in London said the governments of the region were - to a greater or lesser extent - co-operating with the tribunal.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Feb 01 | Europe
Serbia boosts ties with Russia
23 Feb 01 | Europe
Analysis: Croatia and war crimes
22 Feb 01 | Europe
Rape: A crime against humanity
02 Oct 00 | Europe
Russia's role in Yugoslavia
16 Feb 01 | Middle East
Russia condemns Baghdad bombing
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories