| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 23 February, 2001, 18:13 GMT
South Serbia alarm divides summit
![]() Guerrilla violence tops the meeting's agenda
Fears that ethnic fighting in Serbia could spark a new round of Balkans instability have overshadowed a top-level summit attended by the region's leaders.
Macedonia, which is hosting the summit, says the violent campaign being waged by ethnic Albanians could destablise the whole region - and warned the international community not to underestimate the seriousness of the situation.
Balkans leaders, who have been been joined at the summit by senior European Union officials, had been due to focus on economic matters as well as security. But the BBC's Paul Wood at the summit says the meeting has now been overshadowed by the warnings of instability. Macedonia, which has a large ethnic Albanian minority, is particularly concerned about the risks. The country's president told the summit a ceasefire and disarmament of the rebels were essential.
"The results will be not only serious instability for the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, but could also also destablise the whole region." "I warn that it will be extremely dangerous if the international community underestimates the need for an urgent resolution of this problem."
"The people of Kosovo need a wake-up call too, because it is the whole of Kosovo that risks paying - literally and figuratively - if this barbarism carries on," said Foreign Affairs Commissioner Chris Patten. Greece has joined Macedonia in condemning the fighters. "Our main point is a mutual interest in peace in the region and our common will to fight any attempts made by various extremist elements to question existing borders," Greek Prime Minister Costas Simitis told reporters.
The authorities in Macedonia have already accused the Kosovo militants of deliberately trying to widen the conflict. Only last week there was an exchange of fire between a group of ethnic Albanians and a Macedonian army patrol. Two Albanian separatist groups have already emerged inside Macedonia, and although separate from the Kosovo fighters, are sympathetic to their aims and are believed to be receiving weapons from them. Montenegro warning But the Macedonian authorities hope they will be spared a Kosovo-syle conflict because ethnic Albanians make up ony a third of the population, and are represented in the government. The summit is also expected to warn Montenegro not to seek independence from Yugoslavia, on the grounds that it could also spark a new wave of nationalist sentiment elsewhere in the region. Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Bosnia and Yugoslavia are all at the summit, along with EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana and foreign affairs commissioner, Chris Patten.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|