BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 23 February, 2001, 03:18 GMT
Sub tragedy prompts civilian ban
USS Greeneville
The USS Greeneville is now undergoing technical checks
US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is to issue a temporary ban on civilians taking the controls of all US military vehicles, ships, and aircraft.

Japanese relatives
Relatives want to know why the accident happened
The announcement by the Pentagon follows reports that civilians distracted the crew of an US Navy submarine which sank a Japanese fishing vessel two weeks ago near Hawaii.

Nine people are still missing, feared dead.

A Pentagon spokesman said the moratorium was expected within days and would allow the armed services to review their guidelines on safety.

'Deplorable'

The spokesman said Mr Rumsfeld supported the involvement of civilians in military exercises, but wanted to ensure that relevant policies are reviewed following the sinking of the Ehime Maru, which left nine people on board dead.
Commander Scott Waddle
Commander Waddle: Saying nothing

Two civilians were at control positions aboard the Greeneville at the time of the accident, although the Navy says they did not cause it.

On Thursday, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori described reports that civilians on the submarine distracted the crew as "deplorable" and called for an intensive probe.

A US Naval Court of Inquiry will convene in Hawaii next week to examine the incident.

No vote

Three navy admirals will conduct the inquiry, with a Japanese officer acting as an adviser.

Japan's Maritime Self-Defence Force will send Admiral Isamu Ozawa, who will be included in deliberations, but will not have a vote in the proceeding's outcome.

The inquiry also will consider the question of whether the USS Greeneville undertook the surfacing drill, which led to the collision, only as a demonstration for the civilians aboard, officials said.

Among those to appear before the court will be the submarine's Commander Scott Waddle, who has so far remained silent over the incident on his lawyer's advice.

The Texan's relatives revealed that he was deeply upset by the incident but his attorney had advised him against "telling the world how sorry he is".

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

21 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Civilians 'distracted' sub crewman
18 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
In pictures: The tragedy of the Ehime Maru
18 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
High-level inquiry into trawler sinking
15 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Civilian: I was at crash sub's controls
13 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Relatives visit sub collision site
12 Feb 01 | Americas
Sub victims 'to be compensated'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories