BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 22 February, 2001, 22:23 GMT
Bomb alert was hoax

A bomb alert in west Belfast has been declared an elaborate hoax.

Several controlled explosion have been carried out on a suspect van.

Army technical officers examined the vehicle at Shankill Parade off the Shankill Road, following a telephoned bomb warning.

It was left in a street parallel to one in which an office of the Ulster Democratic Party Office is situated.

John White of the UDP, which is linked to the loyalist paramilitary Ulster Freedom Fighters/Ulster Defence Association, accused republicans of involvement in the incident.

"It's a very dangerous game being played by the republican movement. They can only be viewed as being very, very provocative" he said.

"I would appeal to loyalists not to react to this and to stay calm."

Police said the van had been hijacked earlier on Thursday in the Ardoyne area of north Belfast.

Meanwhile, flats at Ross House in the Mount Vernon area of north Belfast were evacuated, again following a telephoned bomb warning.

However, that incident was also declared a hoax.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories