BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 22 February, 2001, 14:41 GMT
Serbian minister escapes kidnap attempt
Albanian militants
Albanian militants are angered by proposed talks
By Paul Anderson in Belgrade

Serb authorities say the senior official dealing with the ethnic Albanian militants in southern Serbia has escaped unharmed from an attempted kidnap.

Nebojsa Covic
Nebojsa Covic: police action meant he escaped unhurt
Officials in southern Serbia say the minister, Nebojsa Covic, was lured from his team's headquarters in the town of Bujanovac by two Albanians.

They told him they had been mistreated and he went to investigate under police escort.

The convoy was ambushed when it came near a Serbian police checkpoint close to positions held by Albanian militants.

Officials said swift action by special police forces accompanying Mr Covic and his team prevented their abduction, but they declined to give further details of the operation.

Buffer zone

As the Serbian coordinator for resolving the crisis in southern Serbia, Mr Covic spends half his time there meeting military and police commanders, as well as the Albanian leaders the government is hoping to draw into a process of talks.

To the anger of the militants, moderate Albanians have said they are prepared to join peace negotiations, although there has been no movement on a date or location.

The attack may also be connected to talks Mr Covic held yesterday with Nato representatives in southern Serbia on the question of removing or changing the line of the five kilometre wide buffer zone which separates Kosovo from the rest of Serbia.

The Serb army is banned from the zone and estimates that as many as 3,000 well armed rebels are using it to launch grenade and mortar attacks on Serb positions and communities.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

16 Feb 01 | Europe
Serbs die in Kosovo bus blast
16 Feb 01 | Europe
Analysis: Serbs under threat
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories