BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Samantha Simmonds
"Seven arrest warrants had been issued against Mr Gaztelou"
 real 56k

The BBC's James Coomarasamy
"He is accused of having run ETA's commando units for nearly two years"
 real 28k

The BBC's Flora Botsford
"The anniversary of one of ETA's higher profile assassinations"
 real 28k

Basque Jounalist Alberto Letona
"All these detentions, all these arrests... will not make a lot of difference"
 real 28k

Thursday, 22 February, 2001, 16:50 GMT
'ETA bomb' kills two
San Sebastian blast wreckage 22 Feb 2001
The blast wrecked a local councillor's car as he drove by
A car bomb blamed on the Basque separatist group ETA has killed two people and wounded four others in the northern Spanish city of San Sebastian.

A hospital statement said two local men had died of their injuries shortly after the explosion.


It is essential that we all stand together for peace and freedom and against the blind violence of ETA

Regional assembly leader Jose Ibarrexte
A local councillor, thought to have been the target of the attack, was injured, as was his bodyguard. Two others are in a critical condition.

Hours later reports from south-west France said police had arrested a man thought to be a senior figure in ETA's military hierarchy.

Xavier Garcia Gaztelou (also known as Txapot), was detained in the French Basque town of Anglet, near the Spanish border.

Police said the San Sebastian blast bore all the hallmarks of an attack by ETA, which has frequently used car bombs in its 32-year campaign for Basque independence.

The remote-controlled device containing nearly 6kg (13 pounds) of explosives went off in the city's Martutene suburb just before 8am local time (0700 GMT).

One of the injured receives first aid
Emergency teams raced to the scene
Reports later said one of the men killed had been identified as a member of the hardline pro-independence party, Euskal Herritarrok, which is often called ETA's political wing

Opposition Socialist Party town councillor Ignacio Dubreyl Churruca - who was driving by on his way to work - is however thought to have been the intended target.

Elections

The blast sparked outraged protests shortly afterwards outside town halls around the country.

"It is essential that we all stand together for peace and freedom and against the blind violence of ETA," said Regional assembly leader Jose Ibarrexte.

ETA has been blamed for one killing so far this year, and two dozen since it ended a 14-month ceasefire in December 1999.

About 800 people have been killed since the campaign began.

The coastal city of San Sebastian is one of the hotbeds of ETA support.

Thursday's explosion came just two days after the Basque government called an early election in the region.

Polls show the nationalists could be defeated by the governing Popular Party if it can agree a pact with the Socialists.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

26 Jan 01 | Europe
Car bomb kills one in Spain
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories