BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 21 February, 2001, 22:02 GMT
Plea for end to rail disruption
Part of the line was closed during the security operation
Part of the line was closed during the security operation
The managing director of transport company, Translink, has appealed for an end to disruption on the railways following the latest in a series of security alerts.

Ted Hesketh made the plea at the annual dinner of the Institute of Logistics and Transport on Wednesday night.

The company plans to restore a cross-border rail link on Thursday, which has been closed for the past six days, following reports of explosions near Newry, County Down.

I'm asking those concerned to give the railway staff a break

Tes Hesketh, Translink

About 40 miles of track between Portadown, County Armagh, and Dundalk in County Louth has been closed, with passengers bussed between the locations.

The security forces later found the possible seats of at least three blasts. However, no devices have been found.

Mr Hesketh revealed that during the past 12 months, there had been 32 major security alerts between Belfast and Dublin.

"I'm asking those concerned to give the railway staff a break," he said.

"We have fought very hard and lobbied with the assembly to create the conditions for the re-birth of the railways in Northern Ireland and this is a distraction that we could really do without."

More than 2,000 people were due to travel by train to Dublin on Saturday morning.

The vast majority of them were rugby fans heading to the Ireland Six Nations match against France at Lansdowne Road.

Saturday's security alert came just days after part of the line near Newry, County Down, was closed for five days following several blasts.

The police later said a bomb, containing about 100lbs of home-made explosives, had gone off.

Last June, an explosion damaged the Belfast to Dublin railway line a few miles from Newry.

The dissident republican Real IRA was blamed for that attack.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

12 Feb 01 | Northern Ireland
Blast was '100lb bomb'
20 Feb 01 | Northern Ireland
Blast evidence found near rail line
17 Feb 01 | Northern Ireland
Rail travel disrupted by alert
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories